SoFlaQuer's Finishing Sauce (For Pulled Pork)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I dunno about how much you don't like vinegar....but let me tell you...it's more than just vinegar.  You can tell, but it's a totally different experience.  I'd say make two batches and try both on little pieces of meat.  You might be surprised.

I dunno about how much you don't like vinegar....but let me tell you...it's more than just vinegar.  You can tell, but it's a totally different experience.  I'd say make two batches and try both on little pieces of meat.  You might be surprised.
I'm pretty sensitive to it and I've got a lot of apples & lemons that likely won't all get used otherwise so I think I'll try it this way this time and then next time I smoke another shoulder I'll try the base recipe and then compare.

I copied this to a separate post due to the requests for it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

If you've never done Pulled Pork with a "Finishing Sauce" before, you're in for a real treat!!!! It's the secret ingredient that alot of Quer's don't know about, and part of the reason people at my 'Q Parties say "they've never had Pulled Pork that tasted this good, before!".

Jeff
I'm new to smoking pulled pork, I'm guessing this finishing sauce goes on after you have BBQ sauce on the pork or is it the other way around?

It's the other way around. After you pull the meat add this sauce. Usually I let the guest decided if they want to add barbecue sauce or not. And with this sauce most won't add barbecue sauce. Make sure you don't add too much of this finishing sauce as it can be a little vinegary if you add too much.

It's the other way around. After you pull the meat add this sauce. Usually I let the guest decided if they want to add barbecue sauce or not. And with this sauce most won't add barbecue sauce. Make sure you don't add too much of this finishing sauce as it can be a little vinegary if you add too much.
Thanks techmedic, that make sense.  I'm going to try this out this weekend.

Michael

I'll be surprised if you need any bbq sauce after applying the finishing sauce...if the smoke goes well.  When I use it the bbq sauce sits on the counter untouched by the guests.

Thawing to do my second 9lb Butt in my Smoke-it #2 electric tomorrow.  The first one in this smoker we used Jeff's rub with a little mustard for a binder, smoked with pecan, 225 smoker temp to reach 200 IT, had a small foil catch pan with water added on the rack below, rested 2 1/2hrs, pulled and added a 1/2 quantity of SoFlaQuer's sauce after pulling.  It was a long stall almost 24 hr smoke.  it was the best Pulled Pork I have ever done, but I thought we needed a little more smoke.

I asked Wifey if she thought we should do anything different than last time? Her response was, add a little more smoke also.  Ok, I will add in a little Hickory.  Then -" WAIT, let me make sure I have everything to make the SoFlaQuer's sauce, I might have to make a trip to the store!"  Understand, the nearest store is 9 miles away.  Wait?  Yes, if need be, it makes Pulled Pork that much better for us.  Fortunately, she found everything needed, no special trip to the store required.

To us, this sauce is now an essential ingredient to our Pulled Pork,

If you have not tried this sauce, I highly recommend to at least mix some up and try it on a portion of your Pulled Pork.  It is similar to using a rub, not a distinctive over riding flavor, just a smooth subtle addition.

Happy smoking to you.

Going to try using this sauce tomorrow on a 11 lb butt I have going right now. Two questions first though

1) I try and catch the drippings in a foil pan below the grate. Can I still add the drippings back and then add the finishing sauce on top of that??

2) I will be serving kids tomorrow too. This isn't a flavor that would be to spicy for them would it

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread . Tons of great info. I'll be smoking two 8 lbers for Memorial Day and will be trying your sauce. Families excited, can't wait to try this.:sausage:

Last edited:
This is a great sauce. Put a bit on as you pull it and prepare for serving.

I make up 2 different batches to place on the condiment table.

Clipped off "ketchup" bottles are essential.

I make one regular and make one extra HOT by adding some cayenne pepper.

Use a good quality cider vinegar. You can also use an aged balsamic / mix to further take the vinegar edge off.

This sauce is now required for my pulled pork sammies !!

RG

My pulled pork turned out awesome, but your sauce took it to another level. Tons of compliments from all of my guests. Thanks a bunch!

This is a great sauce. Put a bit on as you pull it and prepare for serving.

I make up 2 different batches to place on the condiment table.

Clipped off "ketchup" bottles are essential.

I make one regular and make one extra HOT by adding some cayenne pepper.

Use a good quality cider vinegar. You can also use an aged balsamic / mix to further take the vinegar edge off.

This sauce is now required for my pulled pork sammies !!

RG
I love Sriracha bottles for my sauces. Just never seem to have enough of them around.

I only used 1/4 cup of the vinegar and 3/4 cup of apple juice. It's still really strong vinegar-y smelling. We aren't much on it being real strong. Will the flavor of vinegar be too much like this?, or should I make a new batch with just apple juice as the base?

Just an FYI, although the sauce with 1/4 cup of vinegar smelled strong, after it sat for about 3 hours in the fridge and was put on some pulled pork, it was amazing. Not vinegary at all!

Last edited:
Here's what my pork looks like when I'm done. No sauce needed. I vac pac it cool it over night then freeze it. Do alot of it for organizations and people in general. Add the whiskey only upon request otherwise I drink the crown when cooking

JJ!  oh JJ!

Are you there? 
biggrin.gif

Good luck and good smoking.

I know this is a really old thread ,but this may help out those whom don't like vinegar.You might try white vinegar instead of cider vinegar.It is quit a bit milder.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Super Recipe

Smoking my first two pork butts tomorrow (third time smoking ever). Was looking for a good vinegary saucer hoping this does the trick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky