Smoking cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scarps23

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Iowa
Lower temps got me back in the mood to smoke some more cheese and add some additional tubing for cold smoking. Temps are high 40's.

Last time my set up was the following picture. I drilled 3 small holes in mailbox lid. I cut out bigger hole for air in second picture and how I'm currently running it. Also added more piping.

7de18143a11ba79dd6bd7f64f80504b7.jpg

278be3d060f6162a166c48d5724bd319.jpg

7d075c390cbef2cb2596231b956952e8.jpg

Used better piping then first time. Chimney tubing to hopefully keep the smoke clean when getting to MES and keep it cooler. Still had to use dryer tubing to connect together. One chimney section is covered by the dryer tubing.

2061ddc27449414ed82a51adabbe671a.jpg

aa357a43efb6d8a0704ce43d80a8879e.jpg

5fbc1c243dae95ae7cb1f54e855c3cf5.jpg

0918abc578542b98223204c8360deaad.jpg

Running pretty steady at 62 degrees right now. Smoke is coming out good. I tried some of the 2 year aged cheddar and it was really good before I put in smoker. So good, I had to set some aside to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

​Smoking Cheese is fun!

Good excuse to drink some beer, LOL!

I like your set up.  I have a stick burner, so I typically can use the tray right in my fire box, but I have an old electric smoker that the element is gone, I may have to try making a rig like the one you have.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Nice job on the mod for your smoker!

We only have a couple of months down here in Florida that we can smoke cheese, so I do a big batch in Jan & hope it lasts all year.

Al

aef6ec2c1d45eacdd47d53d34467c003.jpg

Smoked for 3 hours. Doesn't smell too strong. Hanging out in fridge overnight. Will vacuum seal later today.

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks Great!

I am in the same situation as Al, I only get to smoke cheese for month or so down here....so when I do, I go BIG!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Awesome looking cheese !!!

We are fortunate here in North Carolina to have a nice cheese smoking "season" if you would. If the temps are on the verge of being too warm to smoke you can always try putting a pan of ice in the bottom of the smoker since you are "cold smoking" the cheese anyway. Might help hold the temps down a few degrees. 

Love some good cheese....

Tony

Getting closer to eating this cheese. Really anxious for this batch. Thanks for comments.

Got the pepper jack out. One of the cheapest cheeses that I bought. So far that is my favorite. A little spice and smoke is a good mix for what I like.

Mild cheddar has been good too. I'll be buying a bulk load of pepper jack next trip to Costco. Maybe wait until cooler temps in the fall. Fall is usually spent bowhunting deer. I guess I need something to do at night. Ha

Got the pepper jack out. One of the cheapest cheeses that I bought. So far that is my favorite. A little spice and smoke is a good mix for what I like.

Mild cheddar has been good too. I'll be buying a bulk load of pepper jack next trip to Costco. Maybe wait until cooler temps in the fall. Fall is usually spent bowhunting deer. I guess I need something to do at night. Ha

Awesome !!!  I love the pepper jack as well. I also bought the "cheaper" grocery store brand pepper jack and it turned out great. Try some parmesan sometime.....it's also great. 

Tony

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky