Smoked tuna?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 1, 2014
Columbus Ohio
I'm surfing a site of Mexican recipes, in Spanish, and I came across "atún ahumado" which would be smoked tuna. That made me wonder, does anyone smoke canned tuna?

I'm surfing a site of Mexican recipes, in Spanish, and I came across "atún ahumado" which would be smoked tuna. That made me wonder, does anyone smoke canned tuna?

I have not but it sounds interesting so I googled on it.
I found a thread on another site asking the same thing. One or two guys replied saying that it dries the tuna out and does not taste good but that was about it.

I would think that maybe hot smoking a tuna steak and then flaking it apart would give better results but might be a bit expensive for what you are trying to do. Anyhow that's all I got for ya :)

I smoke tuna and then can it, but not the other way around. It could be done I guess.

I'd just go buy fresh tuna and smoke it for the dish. The store bought canned tuna is crap.

Agree with Case. I'd just go to Costco and get a couple chunks of their ahi tuna and smoke it. Think it would be best to first cut the large chunks into smaller pieces then wet brine it.

I've cold smoked tuna a number of times for a couple applications. First, for a long time I've made a Spanish potato, tuna, and white bean salad using oil packed canned tuna imported from Spain. A few years ago, on a whim, I drained the tuna, put it in a sealable container, and applied the smoke using a handheld smoke generator, the "Smoking Gun" from PolyScience. I let the tuna rest in the sealed container for about 30 minutes, then proceed on with the recipe. It turned out great and I've prepared the salad using the smoked tuna adaptation ever since.

Secondly, I occasionally prepare a salt cured and air dried tuna loin that's popular in the Southern coastal area of Spain known as mojama. In Portugal it's mochama, and in Italy, it's mosciame. The loin is covered in a bed of salt for a couple days, soaked in water for a couple more, then hung to dry until it's lost 30%-35% of it's post cure and soak weight, usually around 3 weeks. Traditionally, the product is never smoked, and that's how I normally prepare it. From time to time, I'll use smoked salt for the cure, which adds a nice subtle touch. Other times, I cold smoke the loin for around an hour once weekly during the drying process. This adds a bit more smoke to the flavor but doesn't overpower the desired final result.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky