Sheep casings?

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by smokeymose, Dec 6, 2017.

1. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit

I’ve been wanting to try Kabanosy for a while now and it seems most use sheep casings. I’ve heard they’re a bit of a PITA, but I guess I’m due for some aggravation..
    Can anyone recommend a source?

2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I get mine from a good source. I use butcher packer or sausage maker. Be sure to soak for a few days. They are not that bad to use.

3. smokeymose

T
    Thanks, farmer!
    I’ve been getting my pork casings from Syracuse, but other than that Sausage Maker is my “one stop shop”.

4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

5. shannon127

shannon127 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I use colfan collagen casings for Kabanos. They work beautifully!

6. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

SM, My last batch was from TSM , I only had one small piece that was perforated and unfit to use. Syracuse casings are better quality BUT I do not like the pre tubed jobbies as they seem to stick on my horn as I don't get enough lubrication. Casings that I use ( other then pretubed ) are flushed internally with water prior to putting on the stuffing horn which leaves them well lubricated. I can't do this w/pretubed and have casing sticking problems.

7. nyc oz

nyc oz Newbie

I use the syracuse pretubed and love them. Each tube holds about 7lbs which is perfect for my stuffer.. Kab.jpg

8. smokeymose

CM, I don’t use the pre tubed like they are “supposed” to be used. I slide them from the tube onto the horn. I’ve had sticking issues, too, but I’ll take that over untangling wads of casings! I also like the quality of the Syracuse product...
    I’m going to try some sheep from TSM just to see what it’s like. Syracuse wants $41 (ack!) to TSMs $12.99. I need more 16mm collagen anyway and I’ve been meaning to get some ECA to try as well.

9. smokeymose

W
    Where do you get them, Shannon?