Product Testers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Temp reached 241° in the smokehouse and I got a flame in the pellets.  Very simple, pull the wood carriage out and snuff out the flames.  While at it I added more pellets and slid it back in, then turned down the propane a bit and now it's at 220° and nice smoke rolling and no flaming.  The best part is tending to it outside the smokehouse, makes it very simple and can see it flaming easily and only had to open the burner door to see to adjust the flame a bit lower.  Close it back up, draw starts immediately and smoke rolling out the output vent!  I think I'm getting to like this very much!

Smoke is rolling out, esp. since caulking the bottom vent!

c60b0f14_006.jpg

Oh... and the aroma?  WOW!  Cannot wait to try it!

Last edited:
It has finished!:

026a50c0_007.jpg

Isn't that just a beautiful color??  And the taste?  INDESCRIBABLE!  Absolutely delicious!  You can taste the subtle flavors of the mix of woods, yet they blend together beautifully!

The mailbox did GOOD!  Especially since we had 40 mph winds all day long!  Once getting the draft going thru the box, it was excellent!  We did ignite at 241°, but it was at the height of the wild winds, too; I'm sure that was part of it.  Otherwise it worked good!  I will need to redesign the bottom carraige of wood; it impeded the airlflow on the sides where the holes were, so starting it in the middle produced better results, but that's a fine-tuner to accomplish; possibly riveted-on rails instead.

A success all the way around!!

Very nice smoke ring was achieved with some pork ribs.  This is a killer blend.  You do have a patent on the blend, right?

Still open to ideas on how to incorporate the smoke generator with a WSM.  I know that I can't be the only one whose stepped over to the dark side.  Based on my experiments last year introducing the smoke generator to the GOSM showed that heat was a very important factor in quantity of smoke.  Now with the WSM being essentially a barrel, sneaking the smoke in presents some rather interesting problems.   Any thoughts, short of cutting a hole in the side to allow smoke in via an external position?

Todd, received my order of 2 probes and pencil burner for the propane bottle and 3 1/2 gallons of "packing material" and your suprise.  A tube smoke generator.  Uh, any suggestions or just go for it?

Very nice smoke ring was achieved with some pork ribs.  This is a killer blend.  You do have a patent on the blend, right?

Still open to ideas on how to incorporate the smoke generator with a WSM.  I know that I can't be the only one whose stepped over to the dark side.  Based on my experiments last year introducing the smoke generator to the GOSM showed that heat was a very important factor in quantity of smoke.  Now with the WSM being essentially a barrel, sneaking the smoke in presents some rather interesting problems.   Any thoughts, short of cutting a hole in the side to allow smoke in via an external position?
I have been trying to think of a way to incorporate it into my UDS. I have a little more vertical space to work with than you but am going to try adding another rack above the charcoal basket and see what happens.

Smoked some cheese today, 3 bricks of extra sharp Cheddar cut into 3's, 9 pc. total.  Because of the excellent smoke density being delivered by the mailbox, I decided not to hang them in stockinette, but to use a pan and screen laying across two smoke sticks, and they smoked wonderfully!

53fe51a5_001.jpg

The external temp was 81°, internal smokehouse temp was 94° (sun was on the smokehouse).   The AMNPS raised the internal by only 1°, ran for 4 hours, and I turned the cheese every hour.  It softened, yet it developed a tougher exterior.  The fine mesh screen did not allow it to melt through it, just some small depression marks on the cheese (the finer screen made each wire hold less lbs / sq inch so less pressure and likewise less indentation).  One piece strangely got smaller and smaller 
icon_rolleyes.gif
..... lol.   The AMNPS did a wonderful job!  I only lit one end vs. Monday's smoke with portabella mushrooms that I lit 2 rows, they were actually a little too much smoke (but still delicious!).  Bagged up the cheese and got it in the fridge!  Going on the cruise next week so both my sons are going to be on it too, so I don't expect it to disappear, lol!

Great Smokes Guys!

Pops is settin' the smokin' world on fire!

Todd

Tube AMNPS (hereafter to be referenced as AMNPST) first trial, yesterday evening.  Not sure of the intended use of the AMNPST but just for giggles, I was grilling some homeground hamburgers on the Weber On-Touch-Gold and thought, what the heck, lets go for it.  While the charcoal was warming up to the using level, I filled and fired off the AMNPST (that pencil flame torch head sure fills the bill) with Pitmaster pellets.  I set the coals on side, the AMNPST on the other side, as far away as possible,  made sure lid vent was on opposite side from AMNPST and let the smoke do it's thing.  The results:  worked perfectly.  The AMNPST is small enough for ease of positioning in the coal grate, plenty of smoke, AND would you believe: a smoke ring on the burgers.  Not much but it was there on all four burgers.  The camera was away on another project otherwise I'd have photographic proof.

Some thoughts on the AMNPST:  I assume this is a prototype.  Perhaps half the length (actual grilling time is generally less than an hour for me), same tube diameter and some type of legs tacked on to keep it from rolling around for a grill application. 

Stepping into the future.

OMG!  The cheese is ready!  I'll be right back

5268db40_192.jpg

......mmmmmmmmmmm oh wowwwww......

Absolutely delicious!  None of the bitter smoke flavor I've experienced before, more nutty!  

Last edited:
Here is some bacon done with Pitmaster's blend pellets...Wow it had excellent flavor and i thought it colored up real well...Thanks Todd for a blend that really lives up to it's name!!!

2d4bb128_006.jpg

7f9c735b_025.jpg

This is 2 of 6 pieces cold smoked for 20 hours with the Pitmaster blend...Yes i would use it on bacon again in a heartbeat!!!!

Reactions: Shiner ECV
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky