Post A Picture of Your COMPLETED Mini-WSM Here ! (Mini Weber Smokey Mountain, MWSM)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice job, hoochiemama!! Great looking build. I don't need to tell you how great those Minis are since you're already enjoying yours. The best Boston Butts I've ever cooked came off the Mini, and you can't beat it for higher temp cooks like chicken. I built one for my nephew-in-law and he has quickly fallen in love with it. Speaking of that, they make great gifts too :-)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help on this forum!  I finally completed my mini.  So far I have smoked two pork butts, a chuck roast, and a fatty.  Before this, I have been exclusively smoking on my 22.5 Weber kettle.  I can say that I love this mini.  It really can hold the temp for a really long time and it is pretty much hands off once it gets dialed in.  I will continue to use this for most smokes.  Probably will still use the kettle for ribs and/or bigger cooks.

Charcoal ring.  I have no idea why I used the snips since I had bought a jigsaw.  I kind of messed up more than one way because I just eyeballed it and it is too high.  Also like a dummy I snipped it the wrong way and ended up with two sharp sides!  Anyways, it does the trick.

Drilling the IMUSA handle out of the way (although I didn't end up using the lid).

After the jigsaw cut.  As you can tell I'm not a perfectionist ;)

I am very pleased with this cooker.  What you can't see is that I drilled two holes for my maverick.  One below the grate for the "pit temp" and one above the grate for the meat.  The way I have used the "pit" probe so far is to stick some foil into my 1/4in hole I drilled, then stick the probe through it.  It holds it steady and horizontal.  Pretty nice.  I'm looking forward to cooking more things on here.  I may try to cut down my charcoal grate so I can fit a double decker.  The nice thing about this pot is that the kettle 18in charcoal grate fits right on through the bottom (it passes the steamer ridge nice and easy) so I don't need to cut it at all.  The only thing stopping me from using the very bottom for my diffuser (10in terracotta) is the fact that my charcoal grate is too tall and lifts the bottom grate up too high.
Great job on the mini build
:points1:
-Ryan

Thanks for all the help on this forum!  I finally completed my mini.  So far I have smoked two pork butts, a chuck roast, and a fatty.  Before this, I have been exclusively smoking on my 22.5 Weber kettle.  I can say that I love this mini.  It really can hold the temp for a really long time and it is pretty much hands off once it gets dialed in.  I will continue to use this for most smokes.  Probably will still use the kettle for ribs and/or bigger cooks.

Charcoal ring.  I have no idea why I used the snips since I had bought a jigsaw.  I kind of messed up more than one way because I just eyeballed it and it is too high.  Also like a dummy I snipped it the wrong way and ended up with two sharp sides!  Anyways, it does the trick.

Drilling the IMUSA handle out of the way (although I didn't end up using the lid).

After the jigsaw cut.  As you can tell I'm not a perfectionist ;)

I am very pleased with this cooker.  What you can't see is that I drilled two holes for my maverick.  One below the grate for the "pit temp" and one above the grate for the meat.  The way I have used the "pit" probe so far is to stick some foil into my 1/4in hole I drilled, then stick the probe through it.  It holds it steady and horizontal.  Pretty nice.  I'm looking forward to cooking more things on here.  I may try to cut down my charcoal grate so I can fit a double decker.  The nice thing about this pot is that the kettle 18in charcoal grate fits right on through the bottom (it passes the steamer ridge nice and easy) so I don't need to cut it at all.  The only thing stopping me from using the very bottom for my diffuser (10in terracotta) is the fact that my charcoal grate is too tall and lifts the bottom grate up too high.
Very nice job!  Love it! BD

I've been checking out the Mini's and finally decided to build one. I have a 22" WSM, but sometimes it's too much smoker for smaller cooks. Followed most people's posts, ordered an IMUSA pot, bought a Smokey Joe Gold, extra racks and other accessories at Ace Hardware. Only trouble I had was I had to crimp the top of the pot a little to get my Smokey Joe lid to fit, but otherwise I was happy with it. It only took me 1 1/2 hours and two beers to finish the project.I did a dry run on it last night and kept it at 225 for about 5 hours with no adjustments after I got it dialed in. I sent this picture to my brother in law, and within minutes he showed up at my house to check it out. He's already ordering the IMUSA for his build. Doing a first cook with some CSR's today and a pork butt tomorrow. 

I've been checking out the Mini's and finally decided to build one. I have a 22" WSM, but sometimes it's too much smoker for smaller cooks. Followed most people's posts, ordered an IMUSA pot, bought a Smokey Joe Gold, extra racks and other accessories at Ace Hardware. Only trouble I had was I had to crimp the top of the pot a little to get my Smokey Joe lid to fit, but otherwise I was happy with it. It only took me 1 1/2 hours and two beers to finish the project.I did a dry run on it last night and kept it at 225 for about 5 hours with no adjustments after I got it dialed in. I sent this picture to my brother in law, and within minutes he showed up at my house to check it out. He's already ordering the IMUSA for his build. Doing a first cook with some CSR's today and a pork butt tomorrow. 

Looks awesome, nice build ! Only two beers ? When I built mine I drank two beers unpacking the Smokey Joe ! :biggrin:

Well, two beers for the build, then a few more while I sat, watched and admired smoke rising from my empty smoker during the test smoke! 
biggrin.gif

Nice mini! Have a blast! B

points1.png

I just want to show you guys something. I lit a basket full of coals at 5 o'clock this morning. 13 hours later, the mini is still holding its temp. Anyone who has doubts about building one, needs to rethink it.

Reactions: jamiewenz
RM- Great to see. Did my first cook on the mini today and had a similar experience. Started it with about 20 coals at 1pm, cooked some country style ribs all afternoon, and didn't have to touch it. Threw on an extra chunk of pecan about 3 hours in, and let her go. At this rate, I may only have to buy a couple of bags of charcoal to last me the whole summer.

Looking for input from Mini owners. I'm loving the Mini I built a while ago, but I'm always looking for ways to tweak and improve.

I'm using the terra cotta saucer to diffuse heat and the charcoal rack that came with the smokey joe. I've seen others who made a charcoal basket instead of the charcoal rack. I've also seen some using a pie pan with water to diffuse heat. 

I'm currious how much difference others have seen using basket vs standard charcoal rack and water pan vs terra cotta? 

Looking for input from Mini owners. I'm loving the Mini I built a while ago, but I'm always looking for ways to tweak and improve.

I'm using the terra cotta saucer to diffuse heat and the charcoal rack that came with the smokey joe. I've seen others who made a charcoal basket instead of the charcoal rack. I've also seen some using a pie pan with water to diffuse heat. 

I'm currious how much difference others have seen using basket vs standard charcoal rack and water pan vs terra cotta? 
I'm the disposable pie pan guy.  It works great. I started using them because of the easy clean up. I just thow them away after the smoke.

As for the baskets... There are many reasons for making the basket.. But I'll let the other chime in on the subject!

Brian

I cut myself a 3" wide piece of expanded metal that was a touch longer than the circumference of the coal grate for the Smokey Joe.  The basket extends your smokes tremendously.  A full basket of KBB in my mini can hold a 225~230 temp for 10+hrs, thats a matter of fact.  I use a metal pan (pizza pan I believe) a little smaller in diameter than the IMUSA pot that had little holes in a pattern on it.  I wrap this in foil and I get great results.  I've never used a drop of water in my mini so I cannot comment on the difference it would make.  I just know that I've yeilded amazing results with the setup I've described to you.  

I used a terra cotta for a couple smokes but it cracked relatively quickly so I discarded that and chose to go with the thin pizza pan.  As B mentioned above, the disposable pie pans would be an excellent alternative as well.  Hope this helped, friend.  Good luck and God bless.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky