Peanut Butter Meltaways (Bear's Favorite Candy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You've started something now Bear.

I have a Californian lady living next door and I gave her a few of mine and she was stoked, said that every time she goes state side she always brings back a heap of Reese's but now she'll make her own "Bearees's".

Cheers from Down Under

My wife walked in last night and handed me a candy funnel.  They cost like $5 at Joann's or Michaels.  "For our next batch" she said.

I'm not a chocolate guy at all, but I now need to have one of these Meltaways for dessert every night.  From our first batch 12 are already gone;36 left.  I suspect we'll make another batch before Christmas.   
Great !!

That Candy funnel makes it soooo much easier!!!

I'm doing good so far---Only ate 6 in 4 days, but today's not over yet.

Bear

I'll have to file these tasty looking treats with fatties in the do not try category! As I fear they wouldn't be good for my health:(.

You've started something now Bear.

I have a Californian lady living next door and I gave her a few of mine and she was stoked, said that every time she goes state side she always brings back a heap of Reese's but now she'll make her own "Bearees's".

Cheers from Down Under
LOL----"Bearees's" Love it !!

That's Great Pilch---And these are even better than the ones she was dragging home with her.

Works out real good for her!!

Bear

I'll have to file these tasty looking treats with fatties in the do not try category! As I fear they wouldn't be good for my health:(.
LOL----Wish I could tell you they're a health food, but------------------
drool.gif

Go ahead & make some before Christmas & give a lot of them away. Preferably to young adults who can take it like we used to.
biggrin.gif

Bear

I tried these today, not sure what I did wrong, I made half batch. I weighed out the white and milk chocolate wafers 10oz and weighed out 8 oz of peanut butter. Into the MW for 2 minutes took out and stirred needed more time, 1:30 and when I took them back out the chocolate started to seize up or what ever it does. I put it back in for 30 seconds on power level 8 and I got it kind of melted again but it was to thick to go through a funnel, so I just put it in a pan and will cut it into squares like fudge. It is cooling now, but the remnants in the bowl and spoon didn't taste anything like a reese's cup, the first thing the GF said when she tried it. I told her maybe the taste will change once cold. Will try again. The MW is a 1200 watt one maybe I should only do 1:30 to start and then a minute.  Oh well thanks for sharing the recipe. I never was good at melting chocolate and things.

I tried these today, not sure what I did wrong, I made half batch. I weighed out the white and milk chocolate wafers 10oz and weighed out 8 oz of peanut butter. Into the MW for 2 minutes took out and stirred needed more time, 1:30 and when I took them back out the chocolate started to seize up or what ever it does. I put it back in for 30 seconds on power level 8 and I got it kind of melted again but it was to thick to go through a funnel, so I just put it in a pan and will cut it into squares like fudge. It is cooling now, but the remnants in the bowl and spoon didn't taste anything like a reese's cup, the first thing the GF said when she tried it. I told her maybe the taste will change once cold. Will try again. The MW is a 1200 watt one maybe I should only do 1:30 to start and then a minute.  Oh well thanks for sharing the recipe. I never was good at melting chocolate and things.
I don't know Dave. You're the first one that it happened to.

You said you cut it in half, so that would be 8 ounces of PB and 5 ounces of white chocolate & 5 ounces of Milk Chocolate.

I don't know what would make it seize up, or get too thick to go through a funnel. We never use anything but full power on our Microhood, but I don't know why yours didn't melt right.

Mrs Bear said it doesn't make sense to her either.

Bear

Dave if you are having trouble with the microwave give it a miss and do it the old way. Put one metal dish containing the chocolate over another containing water and boil the water. I found with the nukebox that 2 min was just right for a full batch but you have to stir it till the rest melts.
Keep at it you'll get it and you'll be glad you did.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, and Pilch reading your post made me realize I didn't think about the amounts in the bowl naturally the half batch would cook quicker than a full one. I think  that may have played a big part in the issues.

It is good just on little squares or cubes, not the Reese's cup taste that I was expecting but very good, I am I like dark chocolate so I am going to give it a go with dark and white and heck maybe even dark and milk.

I have always had trouble with candy making stuff, I used to make some really good peanut brittle but have no made it for so long I tried last year and it cam out not the greatest but was edible so it wasn't a total loss.

OK all you Reece's lovers out there-----Easter time is also a Huge Chocolate Candy time.

Give these a try---You'll love them!!

And you guys who already tried them---It's time for another batch!!

Bear

I've got 3-4 batches of these under my belt already. ( literally )  Thanks Bear!
You could make some for Charlene & the rest of the Darling clan, instead of throwing rocks!!

Bear
I asked the boys if wanted some but they weren't sayin' much.  In the meantime I ate all the meltaways myself so I decided to write Charlene this poem instead.

Old Aunt maria,  jump in the fi-ah,  Fire too hot,  jump in the pot,  Pot to black,  jump in the crack,  Crack too high,  jump in the sky,  Sky too blue,  jump in the canoe,

Canoe too shallow,  jump in the tallow,  Tallow too soft,  jump in the loft,  Loft too rotten,  jump in the cotton,  Cotton so white,  she stay there all night.

ernesttbass

I will be trying these tomorrow.  

I showed them to my wife and her only question was "How many Weight Watchers points are they?"  So I ran this through their recipe builder and got the following:

If the batch makes:

26-31 servings: 5 points each

32-40 servings: 4 points each

41-56 servings: 3 points each

57-94 servings: 2 points each

Last edited:
Dang, you Bear !!!  now I'll have to try these too !!

Gary

I will be trying these tomorrow.  

I showed them to my wife and her only question was "How many Weight Watcher points are they?"  So I ran this through their recipe builder and got the following:

If the batch makes:

26-31 servings: 5 points each

32-40 servings: 4 points each

41-56 servings: 3 points each

57-94 servings: 2 points each
That don't sound so bad. I think She made 70 in this batch. That would be 2 points each by your chart.

Try them---You won't believe how good these are. Their "Taste Points" are way higher than any other kind of points.

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks Bear,  I corrected my post.

My wife is really watching those points.  I have to sneak out to have some good ol' peeps as candy is not allowed in the house due to point value.

Like I said earlier "Thanks a Lot" !!!   I guess I'll be making some later on today or tomorrow

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky