OK here I go (1st pork butt)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jprovance1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
Its 4am and I'm starting my first butt. With some tips and a ton of reading I'm ready. Here is a pic of the rub. I'll post as I go.

Last edited:
Good luck and keep the smoker shut! What type of wood and what temp are you smoking at? Are you going to foil? Keep the q-view rolling.

I haven't decided on foil yet. I'm at 220 with Applewood.

I personally don't foil I like the bark. Be ready for a long ride and maybe kick that temp up a bit 250 you need to get over 140* in 4 hours or your in the danger zone to long. You can cook even hotter but 250 is just what a lot of people do.

Personally I do foil at 165 taking the butt to 203-205 before pulling and placing into an ice chest for an hour.  yes you can crank up the temps if needed.

Looks wonderful, remember, if your looking you aint cooking. I do my butts at 225 and they sometimes take a coons age but it is worth every hour. That looks like a pretty good sized butt there.

Looks good so far! now keep the door closed or 
Bottom.gif

Happy smoken.

David

I bet 18 hours for that puppy. Maybe 20 with no foil. Hope you aren't planning on having PP for dinner tonight. could be more like a midnight snack. lol

I'm in for this one, it is looking good. As has been said, just let her cook, it will cook at its own pace.

Disco

I have to say with the applewood and pork smell its damn sexy....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky