Octagon build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris56601

Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
This will be my first smoker build, so I'll likely be asking all manner of questions. I did check the calculator, made the necessary adjustments to my plans, and I think I'm ready to have people look at my plans...

The dimensions of the smoker are mostly being set by the dimensions of the steel, as I want to keep the build to 2 sheets somewhere between 1/8" and 3/16" thick.
The firebox will be 20"x20"x24" (9600 cu in), 7"x11" opening to the cook chamber (with a 1/2" to 1" grease ledge).
The cook chamber will be an octagon with 11 5/16" sides, 48" long (something like 29000 cu in).
I haven't decided on chimney diameter, how many racks, door size, or things like that.

With that in mind, let me know what you think!
Smoker views.jpg
Smoker cutouts.jpg

Looks like you're on the right path if you used the calculator. I would not use 1/8" steel. That's the thin stuff the big box stores sell and it won't last as long or hold the heat as well. If you're going to spend the time and money building it you might as well make it last with 3/16" or even 1/4" steel.

Reactions: ahumadora
Heh, that layout reminds me of how they had us do that in metal shop class, plan out the pieces we need so we know in advance how much metal we need - also how to lay it out and cut it to get the least scrap.

Sheet Management ... I like it ... the only thing I would look at is your opening from FB to CC ... make it as wide as you can .. It will let your heat spread out more (versus the narrow opening you have) when entering the CC

Reactions: ahumadora
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky