New Pit Advice- Kamado Big Joe vs. Yoder Loaded Wichita

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dbchaplin03

Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
Need some expert advise! I'm not new to smoking or high quality smokers. Seems like every 3-5 years i get the itch for something new and my wife wants to ring my neck.. Go figure..

I started my journey years ago with every type of cheap smoker available such as propane, electric, charcoal... Etc... Then i got smart and bought an XL BGE.. Phenominal pit... But then i got this wild idea I wanted a pellet smoker..

Mistake #1- Sold the XL BGE (worst mistake ever) and bought a Yoder YS640. Loved the ease and available cooking space, just wasn't satisfied with the flavor.. it was missing the lump coal flavor. Sold it 1.5 yrs later

Mistake #2- Bought a Large BGE trying to prevent the wife from ending my life while i slept because it was $700 cheaper then the XL i previously owned and sold.. It was too small for what i do.. Sold it maybe 2 years later..

Mistake #3- Although i loved this mistake, I bought a gravity feed vertical smoker. Outstanding smoker and i loved it but had to sell it because I move every 2-3 years and it was not easy to move and take with us.. Plus it was huge and took up a lot of space in the garage.

Current situation- Still move every 2-3 years. I love the new changes to the 2017 Kamado Big Joe with the better hinge system, better gasket, etc.. And they are USA made unlike my beloved BGE. And i found a dealer who will sell it to me for 10% off. I was ready to make the purchase until i stumbled on a used Yoder Loaded Wichita.. I've always wanted a stick burner.

They both have pros and cons and I'm torn. I love the ease of the Kamado type smokers, especially with a DigiQ Controller.. But i love the available cooking space of the stick burner. I love the stainless steel and ceramic components of the Kamado that will never rust or corrode unlike a stick burner that is all steel. The Kamado takes up less space and can go out on the deck with a cover unlike the stick burner which takes up garage space.. The Kamado will smoke with excellent results but is also a phenominal grill and the stick burner can't grill.. I do have a gasser but not that big of a fan of gas grilling. I've never owned a high quality stick burner but I've always wanted too. I'm thinking we may have to 'settle' for the Kamado until i retire in about 10 years. The used Yoder is a decent price but not a steal either.

Any thoughts from anyone who was bored enough to read my ramble?

Recently made the change from stick burner to extra large kamado joe. I liked the room of the stick burner, but the efficiency and ease of tempature control of the KJ has won my heart. I can not encourage you enough to come to the KJ side. Using a load of good lump charcoal, I easily can do a 7 to 8 hr brisket cook at 225 - 230. Also the xl kJ is roomier that it appears. I’ve done 4 beer can chickens at once on it, plenty of room. Am looking forward doing to a turkey on thanksgiving.

Weber Summit® Charcoal Grilling Center 24"
18501001B_1800x1800330311.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky