new member with a question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pokie

Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
hello, i am from stewartsville, mo. my name is rick but my nickname is pokie. i am 49 years old, just bought a masterbuilt 30 inch electric smoker due to be delivered today. my previous smoker was a char broil offset but i could not keep a consistent temp so i decided to go with the electric smoker. i have some apple wood that is about an inch in diameter. i used my miter saw to make small, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" little puck like chuncks, can i use these in the electric smoker, to get rid of the stack of apple wood i have in in the garage. they are not much bigger than the chips i bought and i would like to get some use out of apple wood.

thanks

pokie

Last edited:
hello, i am from stewartsville, mo. my name is rick but my nickname is pokie. i am 49 years old, just bought a masterbuilt 30 inch electric smoker due to be delivered today. my previous smoker was a char broil offset but i could not keep a consistent temp so i decided to go with the electric smoker. i have some apple wood that is about an inch in diameter. i used my miter saw to make small, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" little puck like chuncks, can i use these in the electric smoker, to get rid of the stack of apple wood i have in in the garage. they are not much bigger than the chips i bought and i would like to get some use out of apple wood.

thanks

pokie
Welcome sir,
You can use chunks as big as you can fit in that smoking tray. Feel free to experiment with stuffing that thing with a few small or a couple big chunks.. they last longer than the chips normally. Just work quick to empty they tray as not to leave your door open to long. You may end up using a contraption you buy extra for burning sawdust or pellets that you can put in there eventually. Hope the chunks work for you.. that chip tray isn't very big..
Welcome to the SMF and keep trying new stuff.
Fun to experiment..
giphy (2).gif

Another option may be using an Amazen pellet tray or something similar on the bottom rack or in the bottom of your smoker.

Welcome sir,
You can use chunks as big as you can fit in that smoking tray. Feel free to experiment with stuffing that thing with a few small or a couple big chunks.. they last longer than the chips normally. Just work quick to empty they tray as not to leave your door open to long. You may end up using a contraption you buy extra for burning sawdust or pellets that you can put in there eventually. Hope the chunks work for you.. that chip tray isn't very big..
Fun to experiment..
View attachment 346630
thank you, i was hoping i could get some use out of my already seasoned wood, i have apple, pear and hickory i was using on the offset and have quite a bit.

Another option may be using an Amazen pellet tray or something similar on the bottom rack or in the bottom of your smoker.
i will probably wait until next spring to get a smoke tube or something similar. i like the look and the reviews of the A-MAZE-N-PRODUCTS line and will probably start off with one of their's. thanks

Welcome sir,
Fun to experiment..
View attachment 346630
thank you, i am new to electric smokers as this is my first one.

I use chunks instead of chips even on the BBQ grill.. Just so much longer lasting.
that would be an added bonus, if it last longer i would use less of my chips and not have to fill the tray every 45 minutes. thanks

it did not come today so i will have to wait untill tomorrow, the first thing i am going to cook is a butt roast, ill let you guys know how it goes.

ok guys, finally got here today, but just about 45 minutes ago, doing the seasoning now. going to start the pork in the morning. to late to start it today, having to wait for the seasoning to finish would make it pretty late. let you know tomorrow evening how it went.

Last edited:
8 lbs pork shoulder, put it on at a few minutes past 7 am, just took it out and is sitting in my cooler, in an hour, i will get it out and take a few pick and let you all know how it came out.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
ok, here is how it went, put rub on the night before, put it in the next morning and let it smoke with apple chucks unitll it reached 165 it. rapped it in foil and reinjected the juices back into the shoulder and put it back in the smoker untill it was 200 degree's. let it set in my cooler for an hour and pulled apart. good lord that was very good pork and moist. sorry for the poor pics, on the phone it looked fine.

Attachments

• pork1.jpg
    pork1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 18
  • pork2.jpg
    pork2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 18
texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cool, foggy and damp day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky