New Hog Pliers Great!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oberst

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
St Louis
After struggling with tying off the chubs, I took the plunge on getting hog ring pliers. First test with a batch of Finocchio, using the UMAI recipe. I have a nice kitchen scale but on smaller amounts have found that my reloading scale is much more exact.
Finoc scale.jpg

It will get the amount of culture accurate to the tenth of a grain.
Used half venison and pork on this batch, and did not add chopped fat back like I did last time. Prior to stuffing here's what it looked like:
Finoc meat.jpg

I sure hope this gives a nice presentation when finished, including the right amount of visible fat. Here the chubs have just gone into the oven for a 3 day ferment.
Finoc chubs.jpg
Finoc finish.jpg

Three days later there is quite a difference. What really made this batch easier than the last was using the hog ring pliers. Not only was crimping the chubs with one hand a lot easier than tying them off, but I was also able to crimp a paper clip on at the same time, so hanging them was a cinch.
Finoc clip.jpg

The hog ring pliers were only around $15, and I can see they have other uses. Wish I would have had a pair when making my fish livewell out of chicken wire last year.

Attachments

• Finoc meat.jpg
    Finoc meat.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 38
Ill go along for the ride with you on this one. Looks great so far. Especially the color you are getting on those.

They look great!

I am curious though. Would using a tape machine also work with the UMAI bags?
I use it for my ground meat bags and it is a HUGE time savor and works superbly!!!

I just twist the bag nice and tight and then run through the machine like the image below. Well my bag is much more tightly twisted then theirs in the image, I don't want air in with my meat :)
416959pxc9L._SX355_.jpg

Yes, I'd like to see them also. We have been using the cheap-o ones from Sausage Maker. I'm about ready to toss them, as they are a PITA to use!

My ex FIL used to do his own upholstery on his muscle car resto's.You can get quality ones from upholstery supply houses made for people who use them daily.

Well I can't figure out why your posts did not notify me by email so I could have responded quicker. Thought there was no action on this thread. I just got some cheap hog ring pliers, Lems, they were like $13. Not at home so can't send pix now. These are pretty basic pliers and I'm sure there are better ones but for the amount of chub crimping I do they are fine for now. Those wire twisting pliers from Harbor Freight may be a lot better; can't tell. The crimpers sure do work better than how I used to tie the chubs off by hand. Very hard that way to really squeeze the chubs tight. Now I can twist with one hand and crimp with the other.

This sausage is now done and its really good. For this batch of Fino I used the large plate to grind and then came back and reground a portion of the fatty pork. I like the appearance and taste of the fat, compared to the first time I made Fino, using chopped up fat back and just the large plate. It was too much visible fat although it tasted fine to me. Appearence kind of turned other folks off however.
New Fino.jpg

I like the look here and the taste is great! Lost 40% moisture in the UMAI bags which is a good firm texture. Man is it ever nice to leave a chub on the counter and slice off a piece here and there throughout the day. I feel like I'm able to predictably replicate this UMAI process and will be looking through my sausage books for some new things to try!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky