New Guy From Illinois

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MrFrost

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 5, 2017
Suburb of Chicago
Hello All,

Been absorbing a lot of information in a relatively short amount of time from this website! Figured it was time to actually introduce myself and hopefully one day, be able to contribute advice as well.

As hobbies go for me, I get an idea, and then I'm pretty much all in, lol. This was no different. Although I have always had an interest in smokers and being able to produce some tasty meats for my family, I was always put off by the overwhelming-ness of all the different types of smokers and recipes.

Finally decided to research the best smoker for me, and settled on electric, for pretty much all the reasons people settle on electric. Set it and forget it. Lol. Then the next step was settling on a smoker. Decided that (after reading ALL of Bear's informative posts on the subject) that I would be more than happy with a MES 40" (Cabela's branded) Bluetooth unit, as I believe it is the Gen 2.5 (no huge slanting drip pan/tray water dish combo looking thing, but rather a large oval water pan) as I got it for a steal (IMO).

In following Bear's advice and recommendations since he was so knowledgeable on these units I also orders the AMPNS 5x8 tray, and a propane torch kit, lol. Not going to do any mods, at least at this time, as I really feel like this setup will suffice for me, for now. Not saying a mailbox mod or cold smoker attachment won't be in the cards in the future, but for now, this should do.

Knowing that the built in temp probe and thermometer on the MES units can fluctuate, and knowing the Bluetooth is no more than a good marketing gimmick, and I say that as my personal opinion, after having tried it out, and releasing just how dismal the range really is, but again, it was something I knew before purchasing the MES, so it's not a game changer. Solved that issue with a Thermapro TP-20.

Lastly, I also purchased a Cabela's jerky gun, as jerky is something I really want to dive into, and I am fully aware that a dehydrator is often the "easier" or more common method of making jerky, but when it comes to taste, smoked jerky has always had a better taste to me, so that's one of my interests.

Picked my MES up this past Saturday and built a very quick & ugly rolling cart out of some scrap OSB I had handy, having already exhausted my smoker & accessories budget, lol, there was no more room for better materials at this time, so for now, it will serve as a prototype, and if I like it, one day I will craft something a little more visually appealing. Once the cart was done, I removed my MES from the box and assembled it and finished off the night by seasoning it.

Plan on mixing up some 93/7 ground beef and some Hi Mountain seasoning and cure and making some jerky this weekend. From what I have read, a general rule seems to be around 145 degrees for four or more hours, if I am off in that at all, please let me know! Thank you!

(Sorry for the long winded introduction, lol)

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Nice.. welcome to you! Hope your new smoker doesn't poop out on ya.. Lol
It will be ok..
Enjoy.
giphy (2).gif

Reactions: MrFrost
Welcome to the board! You are going to have fun with that smoker, wait until you try salmon.

Bluetooth devices by design have a range of only about 30 feet or so. I play with a bluetooth speaker with this laptop and the signal starts breaking up when I go halfway across the house.

Welcome to SMF!
Yes 145 for about 4 hours is good for your jerky.
I usually check a piece around 3 1/2 hours to see the texture.
And it usually needs a little more time.
Al

Decided a nice and easy off the shelf seasoning and cure combo would be best for my first crack at this. Bought some Hi Mountain Hickory seasoning and cure from Cabela’s and 6lbs of 93/7 lean ground beef. Mixed it up and put it in the refrigerator. Will run it through the Jerky Pistol and smoke it Friday. Will have more pics then!

Attachments

• 00FD355C-712E-4DEC-B941-D715F144CF69.jpeg
    00FD355C-712E-4DEC-B941-D715F144CF69.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 16
MrF,looks like you need to knead that some more to get the mix more distributed and get it more homologous in general.Get any air pockets out and make it look like a meatloaf without working it too much.

Thank you for the heads up. Took it out and kneaded it some more, and was sure to get all the air pockets out as well!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky