Need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops pit

Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
southern Illinois
Smoking meats for our family holiday get to gathering. Going to eat about 5PM. Going to smoking a brisket, 2 pork butts, a 9.3 pork loin, and a 14 lb turkey. I have smoked everything before except the turkey. Would like to have everything ready approx the same time. I Know meat can have a mind of its own, smoked 10 pork butts this summer all about the same size and started pulling them from 6 hrs to 8 hrs. Just trying to figure out a timeline to start everything and advice on the turkey

Wow that's a tough one, I'm not sure how a turkey would compare against the other cooking times. This is a good example of how, when you choose a serving time, you have to count backwards so everything will converge at that same time. You'll probably need to rely on resting times and it would probably be better to let the butts and brisket be done and resting (wrapped etc.) while the turkey lands - and it would need to rest, too.

Maybe play it safe and pretend that your target time is 4:00, and that would allow you some wiggle room. With that much food, you'll need time for prep like pulling etc. anyway.

Good luck! If you pull this off, you will be famous.

You would have to be more specific about meat weights and smoker temp planned for timing help, but here is some guidelines on Turkey...JJ

We determine doneness by measuring the Internal Temp (IT) in the thickest part of the Breast and Thigh, 165* and 175*F respectively. For a One Step Smoke with Crispy Skin the birds have to be smoked at a temp of 300-325°F. For Whole birds, you can figure about 15 minutes per pound to reach the desired IT. If you Spatchcock, you reduce the time per pound by about 1/3. Electric smokers usually only go to 275°F. With these you will be smoking at the most common temp range of 225-275°F. You can figure on about 25 minutes per pound cook time + or - 5 minutes depending what part of the range you choose. Usually the skin will not crisp so if the skin is not Crisp enough when the IT is 145*F in the Breast, put the Bird in a 425*F Oven to finish cooking to 165* and Crisp the Skin...JJ

Reactions: radio
You would have to be more specific about meat weights and smoker temp planned for timing help, but here is some guidelines on Turkey...JJ

We determine doneness by measuring the Internal Temp (IT) in the thickest part of the Breast and Thigh, 165* and 175*F respectively. For a One Step Smoke with Crispy Skin the birds have to be smoked at a temp of 300-325°F. For Whole birds, you can figure about 15 minutes per pound to reach the desired IT. If you Spatchcock, you reduce the time per pound by about 1/3. Electric smokers usually only go to 275°F. With these you will be smoking at the most common temp range of 225-275°F. You can figure on about 25 minutes per pound cook time + or - 5 minutes depending what part of the range you choose. Usually the skin will not crisp so if the skin is not Crisp enough when the IT is 145*F in the Breast, put the Bird in a 425*F Oven to finish cooking to 165* and Crisp the Skin...JJ
Tha

We determine doneness by measuring the Internal Temp (IT) in the thickest part of the Breast and Thigh, 165* and 175*F respectively. For a One Step Smoke with Crispy Skin the birds have to be smoked at a temp of 300-325°F. For Whole birds, you can figure about 15 minutes per pound to reach the desired IT. If you Spatchcock, you reduce the time per pound by about 1/3. Electric smokers usually only go to 275°F. With these you will be smoking at the most common temp range of 225-275°F. You can figure on about 25 minutes per pound cook time + or - 5 minutes depending what part of the range you choose. Usually the skin will not crisp so if the skin is not Crisp enough when the IT is 145*F in the Breast, put the Bird in a 4 ff for the inf25*F Oven to finish cooking to 165* and Crisp the Skin...JJ[/

Thanks for the info here is what I have come up with the temp I will be running at will be 250 using hickory in a reverse flow smoker. The brisket is10 lbs will go on about 5:00am will cook to an IT of 200 to 205 then be foiled to rest. The pork butts will go on about 8:00 have not got them yet but they are generally in the 9 lb range take them to an IT of 190 to 200 foil and rest. The turkey is 14 lb will go on at 10:00 on the fire box side will be about 10 degrees warmer there take it off at 165. The loin will go on about 12:00 will remove at IT of 145 foil and rest for 15 minutes. Suggestion are appreciated

Figuring 1.5 hrs/lb, that gets the Brisket done 6-7pm. And the Butts around 5pm. Turkey and Loin around 6pm. If that works for you, barring complications, y'all will be eating well. Good luck. If you got some space under the beef the Jus recipe is good...JJ

Many folks enjoy dipping their Beef in Au Jus for flavor and moisture. This recipe is made in the Smoker while a Beef Roast or Brisket is being cooked.

Smokey Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,

1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus, drag quickly across to take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

NOTE: If you are using this recipe with Brisket or a long smoke, additional Water will have to be added periodically to maintain the proper volume. Do not add more Broth as repeated addition and reduction will make the Au Jus too salty..

Hmmm, thats a toughie, due to optimal cooking temps of each item being cooked.

Brisket 225°F
Loin 250°F
Butts 275°F
Turkey 300°F - 325°F

Brisket? I only do briskets in sauce and wont comment on that but... Halve your pork butts to decrease cooking time.
Also if you have a full loin, half that as well, better yet cut into 3rds, one end will be way above 145°F by the time the rest catches up.
Put a quick sear on the loin before putting on the pit, loins are better kept at 250°, due to them being so lean.
Don't pull the loin at 145°F, Pull the pork loin at 137°F I.T. if foiling for a rest and at 140°F I.T. if not foiling

Here are some loose numbers doing Butts on my Pit (toss out an hour in the beginning and end of the cook)
9 pounds @ 225° = 90 - 120 minutes per/lb [13.5 - 18 hours]
9 pounds @ 250° = 80 - 90 minutes per/lb [ 12 - 13.5 hours] (this article is based on 250°)
9 pounds @ 275° = 60 - 80 minutes per/lb [ 9 - 12 hours]
9 pounds @ 275° = 50 - 60 minutes per/lb [ 7.5 - 9 hours] FOILED

Its a shame you are doing a brisket otherwise you could run the pit a bit higher.

• Time charts for turkey on my pit, not an exact but in the ballpark,
A 12.4 lb bird took almost 34 minutes per/lb at 230 - 240°F, I was at exactly 4 hours into the cook when I reached 140°F, next cook I will maintain 250- 260°F until it is out of the "danger zone".

• At 235°F your turkey will take 30 to 35 minutes per pound.
  • At 250°F your turkey will take 25 to 30 minutes per pound.
  • At 275°F your turkey will take 20 to 25 minutes per pound.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky