Need a better Bark

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jarnold

Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
Virginia
Alright all you pros with UDS. I built my own UDS about a year ago and have used it quiet a bit. We have mostly used it for Butts and Ribs. I know some will chastise me but I am using a guru on my UDS for temperature control and love it for its set it and leave it capabilities. The smoker is turning out very good results, however I am not satisfied with the quality of bark that I am achieving on my Butts. I am looking for a thicker heavier bark that grabs more flavor. I am using Kingsford charcoal with wood chunks randomly placed in my basket and have been placing about a gallon of water under the meat in a pan. I have never opened the drum back up until my meat reaches 195-200. It's always super moist and never dry but just not a heavy bark. My assumption is that the drum is so efficient that its not burning a lot of fuel to maintain a temperature because in 12 hours I am using a 1/3 of a basket of charcoal and once up to temperature I'm getting very little smoke. Maybe you pros can give me some ideas on ways to build a nice thick bark with such an efficient smoker. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jarnold, what are you using for a rub? A little brown sugar will help with forming a good bark. Your not spritzing, mopping or foiling so I would venture to say your lacking something in your rub. I'm not sure, but the steam coming from your water pan may also be contributing to a lighter bark. If your having trouble keeping the rub on your meat try rubbing it down with a little yellow mustard. You won't taste it in the finished product, but it will help adhere the rub to the meat.

Chris

I think you may want to just leave the water pan out & let the juices drip on the coals.
I use raw sugar in my rubs & always get good bark!
Al

You can use the water to add moisture for the first few hours... then dump the water so the meat crisps up.... That will raise the temp of the UDS... The water is keeping the temp low...
You can experiment with the amount of water.. say, try 2 cups and see how long it last before it's evaporated.. once evaporated, the meat will crisp...

Reactions: Jabiru
What Dave said...The water vapor will help more smoke flavor adhere but you need Dry Heat to set and crisp the bark...JJ

Reactions: Razyr Sharpe
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky