MES Mailbox Mod! for use with AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hpw do you dry the pellets?
Most guys nuke them,some dry in the smoker while preheating.I nuke mine on a paper plate 45 sec stir them and do it again
Richie
Dave hope you don't mind me answering

Not at all !!!! Members need answers and sometimes in a timely manner.... Good job...... Thumbs Up....

has anyone used woodchips in a mailbox mod? i have so much wood chip that i dont know what to do with it now that i got a bunch of pellets from christmas.

has anyone used woodchips in a mailbox mod? i have so much wood chip that i dont know what to do with it now that i got a bunch of pellets from christmas.
I still use my chip pan periodically...  For short smokes.... like for a steak on a reverse sear...  and I use them in my fish smoker at times...

I did my first test smoke with the MES mailbox mod and AMNPS today. I ran it 6 hours. It burned through the first two rows of pellets and the beginning of the third. It seem to be smoking a little too fast. What's the best way to slow down the burn/smoke? Cover more of the holes? I did drill 3 1/2 inch holes in the door and there are some holes already on the bottom.

It's burning about right...    That would have given you about 9 hours smoke..     Mine burns about 10...  Depends on elevation, outside temp, humidity....  It ain't perfect but it sure beats what's in second place....

I hope you aren't unhappy with 9 continuous hours of smoke without having to do squat......
beercheer.gif

It's burning about right...    That would have given you about 9 hours smoke..     Mine burns about 10...  Depends on elevation, outside temp, humidity....  It ain't perfect but it sure beats what's in second place....

I hope you aren't unhappy with 9 continuous hours of smoke without having to do squat......
beercheer.gif
I'm actually very happy with the performance of the mailbox mod and thank you DaveOmak for all the instructions on how to build it. I was just wondering about the impact on smoke of more or less oxygen with the control of vent holes.

If there is not enough air supply, the pellets will usually turn black...  charcoal...   If you have a fine layer of white (ish) ash, you've got enough air supply....  The correct amount of air also helps to burn off any creosote...  so your  food has a nice golden color to it and a great flavor...  or something like that....

I use the vent holes not only to supply air for the AMNPS, but I use them to regulate the amount of air through the smoker....  The 3 holes I have in my MB mod are 3/4"....  with the heat on in the MES, there is REALLY good air flow...  I like lots of air flowing through the smoker....  I think the food tastes "cleaner"....  what ever that is...  I prefer the taste...  I have plugged the upper hole and it does something different to the smoke and the flavor...    so now I smoke with all three open.... 

If there is not enough air supply, the pellets will usually turn black...  charcoal...   If you have a fine layer of white (ish) ash, you've got enough air supply....  The correct amount of air also helps to burn off any creosote...  so your  food has a nice golden color to it and a great flavor...  or something like that....

I use the vent holes not only to supply air for the AMNPS, but I use them to regulate the amount of air through the smoker....  The 3 holes I have in my MB mod are 3/4"....  with the heat on in the MES, there is REALLY good air flow...  I like lots of air flowing through the smoker....  I think the food tastes "cleaner"....  what ever that is...  I prefer the taste...  I have plugged the upper hole and it does something different to the smoke and the flavor...    so now I smoke with all three open.... 

Thanks for info. I smoked a pork butt yesterday with the MES 30, mailbox and AMNPS. I covered all the mounting holes in the bottom of the box and left the 3 on the door I drilled wide open. This seem to improve airflow across the "top" of the AMNPS and up the duct at the back. This smoke I also used a better quality pellet, BBQers Delight. BBQD gave me a much better burning and flavorful smoke, than the Traeger pellets I used the day before. With the BBQD pellets I got close to 12 hours of TBS (even the 3+ hours the butt was in the foil, there was still some smoke coming out of the mailbox). At the end of the smoke the pellets were pure white ash.

Does anyone have any pictures or video of how much smoke is supposed to be coming through the system?

That pic is with the door open....

Have you tried drying them at 275º F for a couple hours...   I have to do that or they won't stay lit...

Where do you live...  What's your elevation...   about 5,000' it's tough to keep them lit unless you use the AMNTS....  also, using a water pan, the steam will suffocate the pellets...

Did not try drying them. I'm in NY. No elevation issue. No water pan issue since it's in the mailbox. I don't think I am letting it light enough.

As others have said, you can try microwaving them.

The other culprit is likely air flow. Either up to your smoker or into your mailbox.

If the smoke you generate does make it's way to your smoker, it may be that the pellets themselves aren't getting enough air to burn?

On calm days with no breeze, or in high humidity, I place a small fan outside of the front of the mailbox. I set the fan up so that it so that it is not blowing directly into front hole, but rather at a 45 degree angle.

It works like a charm!

You don't want too much blowing in there or it will flame up the pellets and they will burn quickly with very little smoke.

Just play around with it.

You may also consider drilling a few small holes in bottom of mailbox?

Mine already has a few holes in bottom for screws or bolts .

Others are set up for side-mount brackets and have no holes underneath. 

Did not try drying them. I'm in NY. No elevation issue. No water pan issue since it's in the mailbox. I don't think I am letting it light enough.
when water expands into steam, the volume change is something like 1700 to 1....   When that expansion occurs inside your smoker, it can slow or stop the flow of air thus snuffing out the pellets..   Personally, I have experienced this phenomenon...  that's why I'm passing on the information....

Your smoker, ducting and mailbox mod are a unique system and act as one.....

Edit:...  I did experience this when I had a brined turkey in the smoker....  but....  It could also happen if you had a large load of sausage or anything holding a fair amount of water....

Last edited:
Reactions: captrichc
Wow amazing information. Thanks. I will try the easiest thing first by adding more holes to the mailbox. And try lighting it longer.

Where I live, it's the dampness. As Dave said, try drying them in a microwave or oven. I have noted that when I do this, the pellets do loose considerable volume also, so you might want to dry more than your AMNPS will initially hold.

Where I live, it's the dampness. As Dave said, try drying them in a microwave or oven. I have noted that when I do this, the pellets do loose considerable volume also, so you might want to dry more than your AMNPS will initially hold.

How long do you microwave for?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky