Meat Slicer (review)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm looking at slicers and was wondering the difference between the 615 and cheaper 609? From what I read I can't tell any real difference, anyone have any insite?

I'm looking at slicers and was wondering the difference between the 615 and cheaper 609? From what I read I can't tell any real difference, anyone have any insite?
Surprised noone with a 609 responded,sorry I can't help 

Richie

Hey  richie,

I have the CC 645, & like you I bought the smooth blade, but I also bought a blade sharpener from Chef's choice.

It fits right on the slicer & keeps the blade really sharp. It wasn't very expensive.

I have a big Commercial 12" s/s Torrey slicer too, but it's so heavy & hard to move around & clean that I end up using the small one almost all the time. I think you will be very happy with the Chef's Choice brand.

Al

Quote:

I just looked at the specs on their site (here are the links):

609C

The only difference that showed up in the specs is that the lesser (cheaper) model has a smaller motor. I have the 615, and while I've never stalled the motor, I don't think I'd want a motor with any less power.

609 vs 615
Watch YouTube videos on these slicers, you'll see the difference. 609 backing plate is plastic and flimsy. For a few bucks more the 615 is better quality. I sure the 609 would work. But there is a difference.

I also found some info saying that the 609 has more plastic pieces then the 615? Guess it doesn't really matter anymore as I ordered the 615 the other night.

Hey  richie,

I have the CC 645, & like you I bought the smooth blade, but I also bought a blade sharpener from Chef's choice.

It fits right on the slicer & keeps the blade really sharp. It wasn't very expensive.

I have a big Commercial 12" s/s Torrey slicer too, but it's so heavy & hard to move around & clean that I end up using the small one almost all the time. I think you will be very happy with the Chef's Choice brand.

Al
The one I use is a CC 645 too.

I don't own it, my Son does, but we share it---I think it's at my house almost all the time.

It works great, but I think it's more expensive than many of the "Chef's Choice" units.

Bear

I bought the CC 615 back in November, and I've frustrated with its ability to slice bacon.  With the large gap between the feeder and the back plate, I'm left with a solid 1/2-3/4 inch on each piece of bacon that I'm slicing.  Maybe I'm missing something here, has anyone else had good non-wasteful results with bacon on the 615?  

Thanks!

I bought the CC 615 back in November, and I've frustrated with its ability to slice bacon.  With the large gap between the feeder and the back plate, I'm left with a solid 1/2-3/4 inch on each piece of bacon that I'm slicing.  Maybe I'm missing something here, has anyone else had good non-wasteful results with bacon on the 615?  

Thanks!
If you mean the trailing piece at the bottom----
Put the Bacon in the freezer for 3 to 4 hours, just before Slicing.

Bear

Last edited:

Bear
Previously I only put them in the freezer for an hour.  I will try for 3 hours next time before I give up, thanks!  Pretty sure I won't hear any complaints from my wife for me to cure/smoke some more bacon.

If you mean the trailing piece at the bottom----

Bear
Ditto to Bear's advice. Cutting, slicing, and grinding meat is easier when the meat has been firmed up in the feezer. Don't completely freeze it. You should still be able to bend it a little.

This same trick lets you do all sorts of neat things even when slicing with a regular knife. With your slicing machine, when cutting something other than bacon (e.g., a tri-tip roast) you will be able to get slices as thin as any deli machine can produce.

How is this slicer holding up Richie ???? dropped mine Friday night and the motor exploded ... was going to make some deer jerky and them slicers don't hold up on a fall onto garage floor .. go figure 

How is this slicer holding up Richie ???? dropped mine Friday night and the motor exploded ... was going to make some deer jerky and them slicers don't hold up on a fall onto garage floor .. go figure 
Jeff maybe they have to put a drop rating LOL Sorry to hear that,thanks for the reminder I have one and just finished slicing cabbage for Pierogies with a knife

force of habit

Richie 

But yours still works good ??? I like to slice for jerky, and am planning to make some Canadian bacon,  and love to smoke loins / also tenderloins and slice real thin for tenderloin sammies .. we like those just as much as pulled pork ..

I was looking at a few different brands .. some seem to expensive for the seldom times you use it ..

But yours still works good ??? I like to slice for jerky, and am planning to make some Canadian bacon,  and love to smoke loins / also tenderloins and slice real thin for tenderloin sammies .. we like those just as much as pulled pork ..

I was looking at a few different brands .. some seem to expensive for the seldom times you use it ..
I never used one for Cabbage so I didn't even give it a thought Hope you have better luck with the new one

Richie

Pulled the trigger on that slicer, tried it out on a loin that I smoked, cut some chops, sliced some real thin pork for tenderloin sammies .. We like them as much as pulled pork sammies ..
IMG_0743.JPG IMG_0744.JPG

Cleans up easy .. the blade it come with I think did a real nice job ...

here is the deal I got .. in case someone else wants one

QtyDescriptionPriceTotal1Chef's Choice Model 615 Premium Electric Food Slicer
Item #: 6150000$149.95$149.951Coupon: SAVE20
Item #:($29.99)($29.99)Subtotal:$119.96Standard (Up to 4 Business Days)$0.00 Total Before Tax:$119.96Sales Tax:$0.00Grand Total:$119.96

at cutleryandmore.com

Typical slab of bacon is about an inch wider than the slicer carriage shown here, is it not? Wouldn't it be wise to get one with a 12" food tray or carriage and get it over with?

Typical slab of bacon is about an inch wider than the slicer carriage shown here, is it not? Wouldn't it be wise to get one with a 12" food tray or carriage and get it over with?
So what are you using to slice Bacon?
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky