keeping ribs moist while grilling (NO apple juice)?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eieio

Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
I have read on here to keep spraying the ribs with something like apple juice while slow grilling.  My problem is that my wife is allergic to apples (including apple juice) and I need an idea of some other kinda juice that works well to spray on them during the cooking process.  any suggestions?

[quote name="eieio" url="/forum/thread/104340/keeping-ribs-moist-while-grilling-no-apple-juice#post_605447"]
I have read on here to keep spraying the ribs with something like apple juice while slow grilling.  My problem is that my wife is allergic to apples (including apple juice) and I need an idea of some other kinda juice that works well to spray on them during the cooking process.  any suggestions?
[/quote]

Whiskey or Bourbon. You can cut it, or use it straight.

LOTS of possibilities out there. You can use just plain water, if you want.

Any kind of juice, soda will work. I've used orange juice, Mt. Dew, Cherry Dr Pepper is popular anything with some sugar to help create bark is the idea. You can also mix those with some type of booze as well. I usually don't spritz my ribs anymore.

I don't spritz my ribs any more either. Try putting a nice coat of brown sugar on the ribs about 1/2 hour before you put them in the smoker, leave them on the counter so the sugar melts. It will keep the ribs moist without spritzing.

I don't spritz my ribs any more either. Try putting a nice coat of brown sugar on the ribs about 1/2 hour before you put them in the smoker, leave them on the counter so the sugar melts. It will keep the ribs moist without spritzing.
Yea, spritzing is not mandatory.

Eieio, IMHO spritzing is a wothless waste of time. I put my flavor on in my Rub and sometimes.I like to go by the old saying,"If you is lookin' , it ain't cooking(and that can be associated with the smoke you put out of your stack); If you smell smoke,it's doin' it's thing... light TBS
icon14.gif
And to keep the smoke at that level you should the lid of your smoker  "SHUT"not just a bit because you think they need supervision or something.

Since I have Bent your ears with this, may I offer a hint of how to tell your Ribs are done (without doing the foil thing or 3-2-1). I pass this along top give you an alternate way to do your Ribs.

Don't foil them in any way,cook from the time you put then in until it's time to get them out.Supposing you're cooking at 220*F or in that area.Leave your Sparesthere,covered by the smoker lid,for5 hrs.;then do a bend/crack test and notice if the bone has appeared.This will tell if you need more time or can mop with whatever you were going to use and crank up the heat for a 'few' mins.to glaze them.So when they bend easily when pickedup with tongs at just before the mid-section and they crack,and you see bone, they be good to go.Keep some rub around;some of us folk like 'em dry,sauce is for sammies in my thinking
pot.gif

Well, I got to rambling again,sorry, just happens,anyhow-have fun and remember to:

i too do not spritz........here is the issue i have with it. water based liquids wash away rendered fat and that can cause meat to dry out. if i put anything on my ribs i will mix margerine and olive oil with some rub and spoon that on once or twice during the last hour and i never foil ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky