Kamado Joe and high temp searing....out of control

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Tonight I tried steaks on my KJ Classic for the first time. The steaks were pretty thin, only about 1/2 inch i think, ribeyes. I put one of the grates in the low positions and left one on high. I brought the KJ up to 600 degrees, with the bottom vent full open, and the top slider 3/4 open. When I put the steaks on the flames were just roaring away. I put the steaks on the lower grate first. I closed the lid when I put the steaks on, and then flipped them after two minutes. I knew since they were so thin they would cook fast. The thing that bothered me was that the flames were just too much....I felt like the cook was getting away from me. There were points where the fat on the steaks was literally catching fire. I moved the steaks up to the upper level after a total of 4 mins. I should have pulled the steaks off the grill then, but I let them go for about another two minutes. I shut the bottom vent about 3/4 the way, and closed the slider, but left the wheel full open. I noticed the heat seemed to maintain around the 550-600 mark, but the flames went down. At this point I had way overcooked the steaks. I like medium rare, but they turned out more medium well. I was really disappointed I botched them up.
My question is, what is the secret to maintaining high sear temps, but keeping it to where you don't have some roaring, out of control fire? I never experienced this using briquettes in my old grill, and I am new to using the lump charcoal. Thanks.

Crazy hot fire is not an issue and mandatory with thin steaks. Turn the steaks every 30 seconds and move to a new spot for 3-4 minutes. A spray bottle of water will tame the flair-up. For more control, patience is the key. Light the fire and let it burn down to hot but ashy embers. Any steak or chop under 1 1/2", will be med/rare in under 6 minutes...JJ

Last edited:
My solution to this: A cast iron pan or griddle.

I use my Big Joe to sear my steaks. I heat it up to 850 or 900 then put my cast iron pan on the grate and let the flames do their thing. No flare ups and you don't ruin the steaks, but you get a great sear. I also leave the lid up the whole time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky