ISO Old BBQ Sauce Recipe for Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

416bigbore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 30, 2016
Central North Dakota
The history behind this recipe I am searching for go back almost 30 years from when I was in College, and few of us got together and put on a pig roast for our classmates. Somewhere in my last 30 years of travels I managed to loose or misplaced this awesome BBQ sauce recipe for Pork.

It was so simple to make with very few ingredients and little time invested to make it. For me, it tasted a lot like KC Masterpiece Original BBQ sauce. I was wondering if anyone could help me with recovering this old lost recipe? If I remember correctly, it was all homemade with no starter sauce being used to make it. Here is a list of a few of the ingredients below that I can remember that were used and then simmered on the stove for a few hours to finish it. It was so simple to make, but yet so tasty, I miss it! LOL

Plain Ketchup 

Plain yellow mustard added, not powder

Brown Sugar

Molasses

Fresh chopped Garlic and Onion and or Powder substituted ?

Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar

Then a little Pepper, not sure which, Black or Red?

Maybe a little Salt added?

I am not sure on any of the amounts of ingredients that were used and it all fit in a 2 quart sauce pan. I would greatly appreciate the help in finding this lost recipe, Thanks
drool.gif

This is the one I used a lot until I started making Jeffs BBQ sauce. Looks pretty close to what you are after. I guess you could add yellow mustard.

Kansas City  BBQ sauce

1-1/2 C Ketchup

1 C          water

1/3C       cider vinegar

¼ C         dark brown sugar

2 T          Molasses

1 T          onion powder

1 T          Garlic powder

1 T          Black pepper

Thanks for the Recipe Brown. I just put some fresh Pork ribs in the smoker so I will defiantly be giving that one a try. Is Jeff's Recipe simple and or topic Secrete?  I am always up for trying something new !
pot.gif

Not secret... but you have to "pay to play"! Its definitely worth paying and getting the recipes for Jeff's BBQ sauce as well as his Texas and Original Rub recipes in my opinion. I feel good supporting this site as well. Glick on the "Good and Gooder" n the right-hand margin under "Featured Stories" to learn more about his rubs and BBQ sauce. That being said, I would say they are made from simple, easily procured items.

Word of mouth advertising speaks volumes, I will have to look into purchasing Jeff's Recipe Book, Thanks for the info.  

The note book I am using will not let me search, copy or paste. Try a search for...KC Bubba Q Juice. I will check back later and post it if you can't find it...JJ

Here you go. Found it in this thread: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/146431/jjs-finishing-sauce

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup

1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)

1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2C Molasses

2C Dark Brn Sugar

1T Tomato Paste

1T Your Rub

1-2tsp Liquid Smoke

1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.

Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.

Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

Im going to have to try this one!

There you go. My kids use that sauce more than Ketchup on all kinds of stuff. Adjust to yyour taste. Add Heat, more Sweet or Tangy with Vinegar. Write down changes so it is repeatable...Try the Finishing Sauce sometime. The Tangy Finishing Sauce IN Pulled Pork then The KC Bubba Q Juice ON top is a great sweet and sour contrast that cuts the fat in the meat...JJ

Thanks for the Plug Matchew...

Last edited:

Here you go. Found it in this thread: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/146431/jjs-finishing-sauce

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup

1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)

1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2C Molasses

2C Dark Brn Sugar

1T Tomato Paste

1T Your Rub

1-2tsp Liquid Smoke

1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.

Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.

Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

Im going to have to try this one!
I am in the process of making these recipes and was going to compare them to the store bought KC original, and I was wondering what I could use in place of 1T Your Rub ? Since I haven't used Rubs and or experimented with them yet, I would have to guess a mix of Garlic, Pepper, and other spices, because of none being in the recipe. What amount of these other spices could I use to add to this recipe so I don't ruin it? Thanks

I mix the following then add 1T to the sauce...JJ

Mild Bubba Q Rub (all purpose)

1/2C Raw sugar
2T Paprika
1T Kosher Salt
1T Chili Powder
1T Granulated Onion
1T Granulated Garlic
1-2tsp Black Pepper
1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

1tsp Cayenne (optional)

Combine and store in an airtight container.

Thanks Cheff JJ ,  That shouldn't only make things good, But GOODER ! LOL  Very much looking forward to giving it a try. Thanks for the added info on that!
yahoo.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky