How Do iTest a Rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncwolf

Original poster
May 1, 2017
Chapel Hill, NC
Do you taste rub prior to use? Is there another way to test it?

This past weekend I made some good looking 3-2-1 ribs and a small Pork Butt, well my smoke was doomed from the start because I used a rub someone gave me that was way too salty. I have used rub from this person before and been very happy so I don't know what happened. Any suggestion welcome.

I always taste the rub directly - just a pinch. 

You can do a fry test or grill test with a ground meat patty, a chicken thigh or a pork chop (sprinkle on the rub with about the same density as you would on the ribs). Takes a bit more time, but might be worth it rather than risk all that time and meat later...

I generally don't add salt to my rubs. I salt the meat first and then add the rub independently.

Definitely taste your rub. The cooked rub will be more mild but you gotta know what you are working with. I taste every herb and spice l cook with to gauge freshness and flavor intensity...JJ

Yea i smell and taste everything before i use it too. I have always subscribed to the philosophy that if i don't like the taste of a rub or seasoning than i wont put it on my meat. When i experiment with my own rubs this is really important in case i went too far in one direction or another.

As far as pork butt goes i just use salt for that. and i don't go heavy on it either. just some kosher salt on the pork (for irony) overnight and it goes on the smoker.

For ribs lately i have been doing some commercial rubs because i haven't had the time or inclination to do my own. I use different ones from Butcher's BBQ line and i have been using some Weber rubs too.

this one is really good on pork ribs (here is some CSR's)

this is actually a steak seasoning tastes really good on beef ribs!

this one is awesome from Butcher's BBQ out of Oklahoma. 

Try different rubs and see what you like. as far as the Butcher's BBQ rubs they have  sampler pack of their entire line so you can try each flavor and then order in bigger sizes for what you like. The Weber ones are actually pretty cheap at the grocery store too.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky