Hardware Question for UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pastafazool

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 27, 2017
Miller Place, New York
In the beginning phase of developing my UDS. I am starting to acquire the hardware needed. Regarding the bolts, washers and nuts, do I need to use stainless spells or can I get away with standard materials. Just concern with the heat and the effects on the meat and possible smoke.

Thanks

I used stainless just to be safe.

They wont cost that much more to be safe.

Finishing up the charcoal basket. I used two 12 x 24 expanded metal, 18ga. I need to get the hardware for the legs. Having a challenge finding small stainless u-bolts to attach the grate to the basket. Not to worried, I shall eventually find them.

On a side note: My wife thinks I have lost my marbles. She want to know what is wrong with the MES she bought me.

My reply, "Nothing, I just want options, especially once the weather gets cooler"[emoji]128523[/emoji]

Last edited:
For what it's worth I just overlapped the expanded metal and used regular bolts with a couple large washers. Also I have a uds and was looking to add an mes. Lol

Last edited:
Use stainless when you can or non galvanized you be good, I also had a MES and I used it 4 times and sold it I did not like it at all..  Nothing I have ever had and I have had lot of smokers and grills can campare to the UDS for price and simple use and the flavor is awsome.  

Sorry I misread thought the u bolts were to connect the metal I used stainless wiring to attach the grate to the ring no problems

I was able to obtain a 55 gall drum free of charge from the school district I work at. That's the good news.

The challenge will be getting the cover off, tight drum,
Has anyone used an air hammer with chisel attachment to assist in this matter?
Once the top is off, can it be used as the cover or do you have to look at a dome cover such as the Weber?

Take a grinder, lay the barrel down.  Then grind around the lip of the barrel until the lid comes off.   You will see a seam when your there.

I did it, I will look for a pic.

Must have done it before I had Photobucket.

I can get a pic if you want tomorrow.

Anyone have a suggestion for removing the larger bung on the cover? I purchase a bung tool...unsuccessful.

If I can't get it off I guess I will make some holes to attach some pipes and elbows for exhaust vents.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky