Gotta Love Farm Auctions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin218r

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Minnesota
A friend of a friend was at an auction.
Stumbled across this:
IMG_20171127_214909947.jpg

IMG_20171127_214759118.jpg

We used this type of stuffer every year when I was a kid helping out.
He paid a whopping $2.50 for it!! The table its mounted on is worth the two bucks!
Since they had no use for the stuffer and I had no use for a wood stove I got at an
auction for $5.00, we traded.
Working on getting it cleaned up and re seasoned.
Going to be put to work soon with a bunch of Owens BBQ seasonings.

That's great. Super tough stuffer there. I have on passed down to me 3 generations

A friend of a friend was at an auction.
Stumbled across this:
View attachment 345904
View attachment 345905

We used this type of stuffer every year when I was a kid helping out.
He paid a whopping $2.50 for it!! The table its mounted on is worth the two bucks!
Since they had no use for the stuffer and I had no use for a wood stove I got at an
auction for $5.00, we traded.
Working on getting it cleaned up and re seasoned.
Going to be put to work soon with a bunch of Owens BBQ seasonings.
Here's an old thread from here on a resto http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/enterprise-sausage-stuffer.60677/

That's great. Super tough stuffer there. I have on passed down to me 3 generations
Thanks Adam! When I was a kid, we had to borrow the stuffer from a neighbor.
I was involved with my Grandfather and uncles stuffing what seemed to be miles of
venison sausage.

No need for powder coating, remove the old finish and grime then season like a cast iron skillet. The seasoning protects the iron and makes for a smooth slick easy clean finish.

i.php

i.php

Thanks for the info fellas!!
Not sure if I will have time to get mine that pretty this year.
I will post some pics after I get it re-seasoned.

Here is what I found on sizes when I researched my stuffer. I kind of think my stuffer had the number painted on it but I don't remember.

#5 2 quart, 4 pounds
#25 4 quart, 8 pounds
#31 6 quart, 12 pounds. 8 1/8 inches wide inside the bowl By 7 inches tall.
#35 8 quart, 15 pounds

The #31 and #35 are the same size and take most of the same parts, the #35 has a taller bowl then the #31.

I have the #31, I guess I never measured the bowl height but I can if you need the info to determine which one you have.

Last edited:
Got to looking at mine, and there is still some visible writing on the bowl.
It's a #25. So my 8lb estimate was right.
Thanks for the info!

Wow I've seen them for for over a $100.00 at auctions around here. They can all so be used to press renderings for lard too. Nice find should last a long time yet. I guess the one we used was protected from the lard like you said a cast iron fry pan would be.

Warren

Just an FYI if you experience a lot of squeeze out around the plunger you can get a plastic disc insert for them. Can’t remember the company right off hand. They have other parts too. The one I have came with all the stuff to use it as a cider press.

One thing I don’t like about mine and why I don’t use it anymore is it leaves a bunch of meat in the bottom. Takes about a half a lot of bread to press the remaining meat through!

Just an FYI if you experience a lot of squeeze out around the plunger you can get a plastic disc insert for them. Can’t remember the company right off hand. They have other parts too. The one I have came with all the stuff to use it as a cider press.

One thing I don’t like about mine and why I don’t use it anymore is it leaves a bunch of meat in the bottom. Takes about a half a lot of bread to press the remaining meat through!

The wiper ring you're referring to is available from Ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-1-8-GASK...hash=item3cf178fb79:m:m59joOqpvJDwnI-dCucKRUQ I use one as my stuffer bleeds a lot of meat off around the plunger plate unless the meat is real wet. With the wider ring I get very little blow by.

I just don't understand the problem with the 1/2 pound or so of meat left in the bottom of the stuffer and why anyone would use bread to clean it out. When your out of meat and the plunger hits bottom back it off and use your fingers to remove the meat from the bottom of the tank. Take the meat and put it into a plastic bag to be cooked for dinner that night or if stuffing into a poly bag or large salami type case roll the meat up like a turd and drop it in a bag that needs topped off.

Another area where people complain about these stuffer is clean up which I find quite easy. My clean up starts while using the stuffer. I use a large pair of slick food save rubber gloves to load the stuffer so once loaded I can slide the gloves off and leave them in the meat lug keeping my hands clean so I am not transferring meat slim to the stuffer. I also wipe any mess up with a paper towel as I go if I happen to slop some meat around. When its time to refill the stuffer I raise the plunger plate almost to the top then run my finger around the plate gathering up any loose meat that squeezed by and letting it collect on the front of the plunger so that when I slide the plunger open I can push the little pile of meat into the tank.
When its time to clean the stuffer I initially wipe the tank and bottom of the arch with a paper towel to remove any large chunks then set the stuffer next to the sink so the outflow hole will drain into the sink. Next I stuff a wash cloth into the hole which kind of plugs it up and slows the water flow so I can add a little soap and some hot water to the tank to wash it out. Once I have the tank washed out the wash cloth is removed so the soapy water can drain into the sink. Next I use hot water to rinse the stuffer letting it just run out the hole. Once the tank is clean I wipe the rest of the stuffer with a soapy wash cloth followed by a warm wet cloth then finish drying with a couple paper towels. The cleaning process takes about 5 minutes including washing the plunger plate and stuffer tube in a sink of hot soapy water.

Thank you for all the info guys!!
Ray, it will be put to work next weekend.
Ill get some action for you.
Case, we'll see how much blow by I end up with.
The one we used when I was young didn't really let much by.
Warren, I have seen these stuffers on Craigslist around here for $250....:eek:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky