Gone fishing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moikel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sydney &Greenwell Point Australia
I will be away for a while & nowhere near a computer.I am going here
.I hopefully will catch fish this size
My best fish last trip was 80cm this one is over the magic metre mark very happy fellow team member.

Its 4 hours by jet then 70 minutes by Piper puddle jumper,far Eastern edge of Arnhem land Mini Mini river system.Sort of the = of going from New York to  Montana for you guys.

Keep smoking ,MICK

Mick, evening..... I expect we will see some Aussie smoked fish in a week or so....   Good luck....   Dave

Mick, evening..... I expect we will see some Aussie smoked fish in a week or so....   Good luck....   Dave
To hard to get it from the tropics back home BUT I am going to have a shot at some fish curry & chilli mud crab which I hope to post when I get back.Its a fishing camp deal,generators for power.I just have to work out how  to fit ingredients   into luggage.Last time they weighed us not our bags before they put us on the puddle jumpers. Just a tad embarassing when we were all over 100kg. To well fed
laugh1.gif

Well, don't you get caught , just the Fish....
cool.gif

ROTF.gif

And take some Q-view of the "Live Action" as our Turtleman says...

Have fun and...
I will do my best not that well equipped on the photo front but other guys will take plenty that I can use. Best fish in the real tournament "Barra Classic" was 132cm & about 30kg. Your Manns lures from Alabama very popular here.

Hope you catch a bunch you lucky dog !!!
Thanks,we put most back we cant refrigerate much & its the real tropics.Wet season & closed season for barramundi starts November.And I mean wet! Last trip we  landed over 400 fish between 8 guys in 6 days. Its throwing lures in mangrove lined tidal rivers very dependant on tides. Not cheap but you cant take it with you. Barra jump,tail walk,head shake you can hear the BBs rattling in the lures when they clear the water. Big tourist industry built around it. They will take flies too. Only 4 more sleeps & I am on the plane
yahoo.gif

This guy was hanging around  boat launch last trip. The fugitive from justice pretending to be a proper camp cook named him Albert after his father? Cook been replaced Albert still there.Cant shoot him unless its threatening life.  He is about 13 foot .I would take him out for looking sideways or trash talking but its not my show.
biggrin.gif

icon_cool.gif

Very nice fish maybe for the wall. They are fun to catch to. To bad you don't eat them.

Awesome looking trip - that has got to be a lot of fun 

This guy was hanging around  boat launch last trip. The fugitive from justice pretending to be a proper camp cook named him Albert after his father? Cook been replaced Albert still there.Cant shoot him unless its threatening life.  He is about 13 foot .I would take him out for looking sideways or trash talking but its not my show.
biggrin.gif
We'd eat him for just being where we could get a shot at him down here in South Louisiana !!!!
drool.gif
and Smoke him!!!

Last edited:
We'd eat him for just being where we could get a shot at him down here in South Louisiana !!!!
drool.gif
and Smoke him!!!
I watch all those shows on cable that are filmed in your state.Swamp people Duck Dynasty I love them. All crocodiles protected species after being hunted to point of extinction .Now there are thousands of them & big but only in tropical north. If you are in tribal settlements ,a fisherman or crabber you just have to live with them. 

Big adventure for me to head up there it really is the wild frontier . I will post photos taken by guy in last photo  holding golden snapper ,he writes for fishing magazines & runs fishing tours,now thats my idea of a job.
biggrin.gif

Looks mighty fun. That is one nasty croc!

Take a pic of one of your flies if you wouldn't mind. I'm always looking for new streamer inspiration.

What kind of fish is the first one that looks like a channel cat mix?

Back on the rede eye & now work!I will stick some photos up. I dont fly fish up in the tropics to hard at my skill level ,others do but not this trip. That fish is a threadfin salmon .Great eating fish & good sport they will take flys. Best barramundi 105 caught by the youngster on my boat .Overall 400 barramundi & maybe 200 other species by 7 guys in 5 days fishing. And now I got to put a %#@# suit on!

I will just stick a few photos up for the fisherman on the site.

Thats about $200 worth of mud crab at Sydney prices,it was quite a crowd pleaser.

Queenfish to us about 95cm,good cerviche or sashimi not real good cooked! We put over 600 fish in the boats but only killed about 20.You cant get it out of there its to remote,& fishing gear & middle aged men account for a lot of weight on a little plane as it is.2 flat bellies were on the tour early 30s ,both done a lot of martial arts reflexs like cats. Youngest landed over 40 barramundi in the one day including one at 98cm on the troll & then 45 minutes later a magic 105cm on a cast at some timber. Getting a fish that big out of mangroves a fair test of a fisherman,pretty to watch. I cant get past 75 cm but theres always next year
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky