First time ABTS - holy wow!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

valar05

Original poster
Jul 9, 2017
So I've never cooked or eaten ABTs before coming to this great community. Had some friends over after a move and decided to do these up alongside a fatty (so much bacon).

These finished just a little before the fatty, and they disappeared quick! My wife only got one, so I think I'm making them again tonight.

I made up the simplest version I'd seen - 8 oz cream cheese, about an equivalent amount of sharp cheddar cheese, and a generous dose of seasoning I got off the shelf at walmart - American Royal Championship Rib Rub. Stuffed it in about a dozen halved peppers, wrapped in a whole slice of petit jean bacon, and smoked it at 230ish about an hour and a half. BBQ bliss right there. Only thing I'd change is to not stuff the peppers quite so much, since some of them exploded a bit.

ABT's look tasty! You can also do sweet peppers or SBT's. I'm planning some cheese steak SBT's for today,I also like to par cook the bacon so it crisps a little better but only lay a slice on top to cut some of the body expansion.:biggrin:

Mmm, that sounds pretty good! Is there a particular kind of sweet pepper you use? Like bell peppers?

Mmm, that sounds pretty good! Is there a particular kind of sweet pepper you use? Like bell peppers?

Yes the mini sweet bell peppers,I have seen others do poblano and the like so your only limited by what you like.

Great ABT's, always a hit at parties.

I always make 2-3Xs more than what I think I need.
Worse case scenario I get to snack on them the next day.

Almost any thin skinned chile works well, but you can roast and skin the others with excellent results.
Large Poblano and Anaheim chiles left whole are very good, make for an great presentation and a meal in themselves.

With the larger peppers I like to mix in chunky smoked chorizo to the cc w/red onion to make it more of a side than an app.

Mmm, I saw a recipe with chorizo in it, but passed on it this time just cause i was already making a fatty, figured that was enough sausage. But I'll have to go that route next ime, sounds amazing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky