Finally got a copy of Jeff's book!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would seriously consider that as my upgrade if I get hooked on smoking.
"If", yeah, right, that's funny....  
ROTF.gif

ROFM,  Kevin,  I surely expect to have that well timed disaster.  I like the idea of the remote thermometer.  Any recommendations on a remote thermometer or should I start another thread?  LOL

My copy of Jeff's book was sitting on my stoop when I got home from work Friday.  I went through that book like lightening the moment my daughters were in bed.  It is exactly what I needed.  I loved how detailed it was.  I particularly loved the step by step details.  It took less than a week to arrive which was an added surprise after hearing everyone's horro stories.  I recommend this to every newbie out there.  Great book Jeff.

I had made a pork butt the weekend before I recieved the book. Itcame out pretty darn good if I do say so myself.  I enjoyed the process so much.  I started at about 10:00 AM.  By 11:00am I received 3 calls from neighbors asking if I had anything to do with the neighborhood smelled the way it did.  LOL.  I accepted respnsibilty for it.  By about 2:00PM I realized that I read somewhere that Beer was to be involved in some way when smoking.  So I opened a beer and got into a Zen like state while checking temps and fire.  The results were amazing. I had tried smoking once years ago and didn't know anything. The results were not very good. I was very happy with the results this time..

The smoker had some leaks where the FB meets the CC, from the FB door and the CC door.  I added a fiberglass gasket where the FB and CC meet and the FB door.  The leak where the FB and CC meet is gone. The FB door leak is still leaking after putting the fiberglass gasket there.  The leak is not as bad.  I will be adding a new clamp.  I am waiting for the lavalock gasket to come for the CC door.  I'm confident it will help.

I plan to start on step one from the book hopfully this weekend. Hopefully the Lavalock will arrive before then.

Thanks everyone for all the advice / suggestions.

Last edited:
Those recipes are not in the book.  Jeff sells them here and the proeeds go to running this web site which is well worth supporting.

I'm sure if you spend just a little time using the search engine and looking back at all of the old threas you will agreee the site is gong to be you fried as yo continue t learn bout smoking.

Welcome to theite.  I suggest you try to rememeber 2 thngs, First, the search engine is incredibly helpful.  Second, everyone loves to see pictures so feel free to document your smokewith pictures n new thrads.

Have fun

Thanks Rob. I agree. In just 2 days I have searched and learned a lot. The recipes are well worth it, I just did not want to duplicate what I already bought. As you said though, it is good to support the site.

Thanks!

Karl,

You will love the book also.  One of the things that I liked about Jeff's book is how he explained how to do things from the point of view of owning 3 different types of smokers.  I thought that was brilliant and made me appreciate the book more.  Now if I ever decide to switch smoker styles I will run back to Jeff's book for a refresher and look for the differences between the different smokers.

The book and this site have not let me down yet.

Good luck and have fun smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky