Elk bacon

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by gheid45, Dec 4, 2017.

1. gheid45

gheid45 Newbie

I spent the weekend making and smoking elk bacon using ground pork and ground elk. I like curing the elk and pork separately and then layering the two in the foil pan 20171203_131956.jpg instead of mixing them together. It looks more like bacon and to me tastes more like bacon.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    disco and Rings Я Us like this.
  2. biteme7951

biteme7951 Meat Mopper

I like the layered idea. Does the elk portion dry out at all because it's so lean, or do you put the pork on top so some of the fat renders downward when you smoke it?

Barry.

3. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Master of the Pit Group Lead

That's interesting as heck!
    Never seen that before.. is that from like a loaf and you slice it? I have seen the loaf style.

4. Rings Я Us

Would be nice to have more explanations and pics.

5. gheid45

gheid45 Newbie

20171203_162408.jpg 20171203_162408.jpg 20171203_162408.jpg 20171203_163707.jpg 20171203_163707.jpg
    I have tried it both ways, with pork on top and with elk on top. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

GaryHibbert likes this.
  6. gheid45

gheid45 Newbie

There are more pics, just not approved yet I guess. This is done with the ground meat bacon cure and seasoning from Curleys Sausage Kitchen. According to the directions you grind the pork and whatever game you are using and mix them together with the cure and seasoning. Then you put the mixture in a 9x11 foil pan and let it cure for 24 hours. Then smoke. Refridge over night and then slice as you would a slab of bacon. I have done this for about 6 yrs now and after the first 2 years I began to keep the pork and game meat cured seperately and layered in the foil pan. I like the looks and taste better this way.

Rings Я Us likes this.
  7. txdvr

txdvr Fire Starter

~WOW~ gheid45, that looks fantastic!

8. muddydogs

muddydogs Smoke Blower

9. Rings Я Us

Cool man.. Looks like real bacon. Lol
    So that was done in a commercial kitchen on the side?

10. muddydogs

muddydogs Smoke Blower

I was all set to order from Curley's, first off they have a $12 minimum which is no biggie since I can always use some new seasoning but then they want $14 to ship a $16 order via USPS. Guess I will look around and see if anyone else has this kind of seasoning package first.

I wouldn't be such a whiner but I just got a package from the Sausage Maker that was about 2 pounds for $6.30 and there in NY.

LEM and Backwoods both have seasoning kits and a search showed a few posts of this forum about venison bacon that I haven't checked out yet.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  11. gheid45

gheid45 Newbie

No, I have access to a dining hall and kitchen.

12. Rings Я Us

Oh.. I see.. Cool..

13. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

GH45, Looks excellent !

14. gheid45

gheid45 Newbie

Thank you, well worth the work!

15. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Well, all I can say is that the work sure made some good looking bacon.
    POINT
    Gary

16. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Love the layering, nice work thinking outside the box!

Ground & Formed Bacon Seasoning from Owens BBQ, website link is below in my signature!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  17. crazymoon

MM, I am really interested in this bacon. You are recommending Owens over Curleys and that is good enough for me . I could not find if they are using MSG at Owens which would be a no go for me. Do you know if MSG is in their mix? Thanks, Dave

18. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What a brilliant idea and great execution! I "liked" it!

19. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dave, my wife and I are Owens BBQ! The Ground & Formed Bacon seasoning has no MSG in it. Also, if your placing an order in the near future we have Holiday Specials right now!
    $25 Purchase – 5% off Enter code: 5%OFF$25
    $50 Purchase – 10% off Enter code: 10%OFF$50
    $75 Purchase – 15% off Enter code: 15%OFF$75
    Order $99 or more before discount and shipping will also get a free Maverick Flip Tip Instant Read Thermometer ($14.99 value) while supplies last.

20. crazymoon

MM, I'm LMAO as I had forgotten you are the man behind the curtain @ Owens! :) I will be putting in an order shortly. Thanks

mossymo likes this.