Elk bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gheid45

Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
I spent the weekend making and smoking elk bacon using ground pork and ground elk. I like curing the elk and pork separately and then layering the two in the foil pan
20171203_131956.jpg
instead of mixing them together. It looks more like bacon and to me tastes more like bacon.

Last edited:
I like the layered idea. Does the elk portion dry out at all because it's so lean, or do you put the pork on top so some of the fat renders downward when you smoke it?

Barry.

20171203_162408.jpg
20171203_162408.jpg
20171203_162408.jpg
20171203_163707.jpg
20171203_163707.jpg

I like the layered idea. Does the elk portion dry out at all because it's so lean, or do you put the pork on top so some of the fat renders downward when you smoke it?

Barry.
I have tried it both ways, with pork on top and with elk on top. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Would be nice to have more explanations and pics.
There are more pics, just not approved yet I guess. This is done with the ground meat bacon cure and seasoning from Curleys Sausage Kitchen. According to the directions you grind the pork and whatever game you are using and mix them together with the cure and seasoning. Then you put the mixture in a 9x11 foil pan and let it cure for 24 hours. Then smoke. Refridge over night and then slice as you would a slab of bacon. I have done this for about 6 yrs now and after the first 2 years I began to keep the pork and game meat cured seperately and layered in the foil pan. I like the looks and taste better this way.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
I was all set to order from Curley's, first off they have a $12 minimum which is no biggie since I can always use some new seasoning but then they want $14 to ship a $16 order via USPS. Guess I will look around and see if anyone else has this kind of seasoning package first.

I wouldn't be such a whiner but I just got a package from the Sausage Maker that was about 2 pounds for $6.30 and there in NY.

LEM and Backwoods both have seasoning kits and a search showed a few posts of this forum about venison bacon that I haven't checked out yet.

Last edited:
Love the layering, nice work thinking outside the box!

I was all set to order from Curley's, first off they have a $12 minimum which is no biggie since I can always use some new seasoning but then they want $14 to ship a $16 order via USPS. Guess I will look around and see if anyone else has this kind of seasoning package first.

I wouldn't be such a whiner but I just got a package from the Sausage Maker that was about 2 pounds for $6.30 and there in NY.

LEM and Backwoods both have seasoning kits and a search showed a few posts of this forum about venison bacon that I haven't checked out yet.

Ground & Formed Bacon Seasoning from Owens BBQ, website link is below in my signature!

Last edited:
Love the layering, nice work thinking outside the box!

Ground & Formed Bacon Seasoning from Owens BBQ, website link is below in my signature!

MM, I am really interested in this bacon. You are recommending Owens over Curleys and that is good enough for me . I could not find if they are using MSG at Owens which would be a no go for me. Do you know if MSG is in their mix? Thanks, Dave

MM, I am really interested in this bacon. You are recommending Owens over Curleys and that is good enough for me . I could not find if they are using MSG at Owens which would be a no go for me. Do you know if MSG is in their mix? Thanks, Dave

Dave, my wife and I are Owens BBQ! The Ground & Formed Bacon seasoning has no MSG in it. Also, if your placing an order in the near future we have Holiday Specials right now!
$25 Purchase – 5% off Enter code: 5%OFF$25
$50 Purchase – 10% off Enter code: 10%OFF$50
$75 Purchase – 15% off Enter code: 15%OFF$75
Order $99 or more before discount and shipping will also get a free Maverick Flip Tip Instant Read Thermometer ($14.99 value) while supplies last.

Dave, my wife and I are Owens BBQ! The Ground & Formed Bacon seasoning has no MSG in it. Also, if your placing an order in the near future we have Holiday Specials right now!
$25 Purchase – 5% off Enter code: 5%OFF$25
$50 Purchase – 10% off Enter code: 10%OFF$50
$75 Purchase – 15% off Enter code: 15%OFF$75
Order $99 or more before discount and shipping will also get a free Maverick Flip Tip Instant Read Thermometer ($14.99 value) while supplies last.

MM, I'm LMAO as I had forgotten you are the man behind the curtain @ Owens! :) I will be putting in an order shortly. Thanks

Reactions: mossymo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky