Electric "module" in propane unit.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So the latest test was to get the first layer of insulation on the cabinet. While I was doing that I put the hotplate in. Cabinet temp maxed out at 235, that was without the doors done, but they are double layer metal, so it probably won't matter too much over all. But it was 60 outside today. Since I just need it to get to 170 it gives me promise. Working on getting the second layer welding blanket stitched together.

20171124_121922.jpg 20171124_131557.jpg
20171124_121938.jpg
20171124_121952.jpg

Layer two is done, mostly. Still need to cut out the vent opening, but the rest of the fitting and stitching is done. Probably going to sew in some velcro or use press in buttons to make the closures instead of the binder clips. I'm going to make some windscreens for the legs out of some sheet aluminum I have laying around. But really only need those when running gas.

20171125_152147.jpg 20171125_152228.jpg 20171125_152216.jpg

I haven't ordered it yet, but I'm definitely going to. I like the ability to set and forget. Think it would be hard to get the 10 degree increments dialed in with the dial in the hotplate. Especially for sticks and sausage, don't want to go over 170.

I got rid of my last 50cal and 30cal cans to a friend not too long ago. But you're probably right.

I've seen a lot of guys using plastic junction boxes from Menards. Probably just going to use one of those, just don't know what I'm going to do about the heat sink for the SSR in a plastic box.

Finished stitching in the top and bottom velcro tabs tonight. Closes up pretty well. 20171128_185630.jpg
20171128_185612.jpg

Started gathering the local parts for the pid case as well. Leaving for a trip late next week, so not sure if I'll order the rest of the parts before or after my trip. 20171128_204907.jpg

Snatched an old power cord from work but when I opened it up it was only 18 guage, so I'll use that for the pid power and SSR trigger wires. Got a few feet of 12/3 from the electricians at work, I'll use that to wire the load side in case I ever go up to a larger element I'm covered. Need to verify a bit of the box install, but I'm start another thread on that in the electric forum.

Looks really good man.

Thanks man. I'm really happy with the way the welding blanket turned out. A bit easier to use than just draping it over and having to pull it off every time I need to get in he cook chamber.

Lol. Next time I'll spend the extra money to get a carbon felt blanket. That cheapo fiberglass was super easy to stitch but that crap gets everywhere when working with it.

Well. On to the bench testing of pid parts. Learned spring tonight. That even when the temp is satisfied, there must be a small amount of current young through the SSR. When I had a lamp plugged in, it just clicks on and off. I put an electrical tester in the outlet, when the tap is above where it needs to be (by holding the thermocouple in my hand) there is a faint bit of power showing on the tester, with the light plugged in is not enough to turn on the light. When I drop the temp (with a nice cold beer) the tester gets brighter or the light turns on until the the temp goes up again.

Temp above limit, not calling for heat, but still faint lights.
20171201_222227.jpg

Calling for heat, lights full on now.
20171201_222553.jpg

Box cut, and parts mounted. There are a couple options I want to add in the future, but I need to try and find answers to a couple questions before I implement those.

Back into the oven later to test the pid operation in a similar environment to the smoker.

20171203_125704.jpg

The outlet on the right is controlled by the pid, the outlet on the left is a pass through so I can get power near the box for a clamp light or something similar.

20171203_121639.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky