Electric Double Stack Oven Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cjjones051

Original poster
Aug 30, 2017
Northern California, East Bay
I am planning on moving the heating element of the oven from the top to the bottom and then cutting a hole in between the two ovens for the smoke to pass through and then I will see how it vents to then determine if I need to add a stack for the venting. The questions I have are.

-the pass through hole for the smoke to pass into the upper oven should it place in the center of the oven or offset it for the "reverse flow" if a stack is needed.

-What size should the pass through hole be?

-If I run the oven on 110V instead of 220V should it still be operational or will the draw on amps make it inoperable?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2611.JPG
    IMG_2611.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2617.JPG
    IMG_2617.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2618.JPG
    IMG_2618.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I converted the oven to a smoker. I used a PID and tested the heating element and it heated over 280 degrees. I cut the bottom of the oven to expose the heating element and now I can barely get it to heat over 140 degrees. Do I need to cover the heating element?

Were you running the same voltage before and after cutting? Did you decide to go with 120 or 220v? A 220v rated element only runs at I think it's 1/4 the wattage when you are running it from a 120v source.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky