Calling All Meatheads-Custom Burger Grind

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motocrash

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 25, 2017
Winchester,Va
I'm getting ready to do a custom burger grind with Choice Top Round and Wright Brand Bacon 70/30 through a 3/16" plate,double grind.I know to semi freeze meat and grinder parts.I plan to grind bacon first then grind beef,gently mix the two then second grind.Plans are to weigh to 1/3rd pound,use burger press to form patties and put in vac seal bag with wax paper in between patties.Then into freezer to freeze,when frozen vac and seal.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.What say ye?

Bill

If I were you, i wouldnt do the bacon and burger separately, i would mix them up as them go through the grinder, this way you wont have to "overwork" the meat to get it mixed together. Over working it could give you a foamboard texture patties not always though...either way you'r gonna get some great grillers!! If you wanted to experiment, take some of the mixure and add little seasoning in, like Montreal's steak seasoning or whatever you like

Great thing about doing it yourself, your the boss and get to do whatever you want!

If I were you, i wouldnt do the bacon and burger separately, i would mix them up as them go through the grinder, this way you wont have to "overwork" the meat to get it mixed together. Over working it could give you a foamboard texture patties not always though...either way you'r gonna get some great grillers!! If you wanted to experiment, take some of the mixure and add little seasoning in, like Montreal's steak seasoning or whatever you like

Great thing about doing it yourself, your the boss and get to do whatever you want!
It's going to get mixed in the second grind.Are you saying only grind once while mixing?

Just had a thought,should I let patties sit in fridge to meld flavors for a day before freezing and vac sealing?

I would do both meats together for both grinds. You can let it sit for a day, if you want. You can also freeze part of it immediately and part of it after a day and do a comparison for future batches.

My only suggestion is to re-chill the meat well between the first grind and the second. Mine tends to smear if I don't. It does mean I have to clean up the grinder twice, but perhaps that could be the set time in the fridge for the flavor melding. :)

I would do both meats together for both grinds. You can let it sit for a day, if you want. You can also freeze part of it immediately and part of it after a day and do a comparison for future batches.

This sounds like a winner.

No sir, not me, I was just agreeing with Al.... Can't wait to see these burgers.
I'm too lazy to grind my own meat, sad but true.

Actually I've been too busy with work/hunting to do much of anything else.
As I posted earlier I can't seem to find a pound of super fatty bacon.When I bought the Round I figured i'd mosey on over to the bacon and done.. nuh uh.3.28 # Choice Round - 1# Bacon.It's gonna yield 12 1/3rd # burgers.Freakin' grinder has been sleeping in the fridge using the Round for a pillow for 2 days now :(

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Sounds like it's going to be good. I'll be curious on what you think about the texture , I think the double grind thru a 3/16 plate might make it a to dense.... (for me anyways).

First off, get some Bacon Ends & Pieces, usually sold in a 3 lb. box. Second, order some patty paper vs. using wax paper, it disintegrates when frozen/thawed: http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=222
pops,found some nice super fatty bacon today.It's gonna have to be wax paper this go round as I'm probably gonna grind tomorrow.I am going to vac seal in two packs of six and whack them on the counter to separate to use so there won't be freeze/thaw.At least that's the plan.I looked high and low around here for bacon ends/trimmings to no avail.As it stands now total cost is gonna be $3.50 # - what you pay for blah burger.Thanks for the advice,i'm gonna keep my eyes open for bacon trimmings...

Meats beforehand.
Meats cubed.
Alexander ready to work.
Grind & patty.

KIMG0175.jpg
KIMG0176.jpg
KIMG0177.jpg
KIMG0178.jpg
KIMG0179.jpg

Reactions: troutman
Meat was in the freezer too long - 30 mins was too long,beef was almost solid.Had to let it warm a bit so auger would feed it.After one grind I stood pat,texture was perfect.They are in fridge for a day to meld flavors and then in freezer/vac pack.
Gonna try these before adding/changing anything before next go-round - spices,cheese cubes etc.I have another 1/2 price Choice Top Round the same weight that I picked up with this one.
Can you spot a dog in 2 of the pics?

Burgers tomorrow night!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky