BEST SMOKED OYSTERS EVER (recipe)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
PUTTING this thread back on track..........
hijack.gif
  You all just keep thinking the best are from the east coast.  Some of us know different and don't have to get sensitive about it.

Ryan, welcome aboard and what a great kickoff.  Definitely got this on the list and will compliment a fair sized King Salmon that's cooling it's heels. 
Who said anything about the best of anything coming from the East Coast??? I must have missed that.

I always thought the best of a lot of seafood came from the NorthWest.

The only seafood I get from the East Coast is Tuna, Stripers, Swordfish, etc, etc, that my Son catches.

Bear

Last edited:
Rypress, those indeed are luscious looking Oysters and I know they tasted good from the way you posted
biggrin.gif

I drove cross country trucking for 10yrs., and loving Oysters, I stopped at a roadside Smokehouse on 101.Dry,no oil and delicious
drool.gif
 I used to go down to the coast (when I lived in Texas) and get seafood right off the boat; wooo- eeee , nothing better that really fresh Sea stuff.I'd go to N.O.LA and get Crawfish for .50 pre pound if I had the Chest to put them in;I always did
first.gif

Dang, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it,all this...
th_crybaby2.gif
was a regular thing while growing up in Texas!

oh well, I brought some Texas Culture up here to Ohio:

3813ca32_Betty002.jpg
 I can as big a party as I want,plus Betty the UDS:0-

Welcome to the forum, and ...

Rypress, those indeed are luscious looking Oysters and I know they tasted good from the way you posted
biggrin.gif

I drove cross country trucking for 10yrs., and loving Oysters, I stopped at a roadside Smokehouse on 101.Dry,no oil and delicious
drool.gif
 I used to go down to the coast (when I lived in Texas) and get seafood right off the boat; wooo- eeee , nothing better that really fresh Sea stuff.I'd go to N.O.LA and get Crawfish for .50 pre pound if I had the Chest to put them in;I always did
first.gif

Dang, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it,all this...
th_crybaby2.gif
was a regular thing while growing up in Texas!

oh well, I brought some Texas Culture up here to Ohio:  Welcome to the Forum,Stan;}-
3813ca32_Betty002.jpg

Those are pacific Oysters whcih have a completely different taste than gulf oystres;they are also much larger on average .But then he is in California.

OK...FINALLY! i found someone with clear sense of what i am trying to do. Friday is the test day=smoked AND smoked and marinated with a sweet sauce with a bite...brandy etc...will letcha know

d

Ok I've tried this twice now and was completely blown away. Second time I substituted Jim Beam for the brandy and male syrup for the brown sugar. Made 5 dozen on sunday and they were g one in a day. Great recipe thanks!

Nice Ryan , and Welcome to the SMF ; always good to have Bay area represented , with all the Sea food there available , I could be a happy man , I Love Sea food and Oysters are near the top . I like the canned ones , however , on a trip (ex-trucker) down 101 , the Wife and I stopped at a roadside smokehouse and they had Smoked Oysters , but they were dry , but interestingly good . I mean they weren't over done . They were soft and not chewy and had no oil on them , I guess that's the way they are before the EVOO?
icon_eek.gif

Have fun and...

Nice Ryan , and Welcome to the SMF ; always good to have Bay area represented , with all the Sea food there available , I could be a happy man , I Love Sea food and Oysters are near the top . I like the canned ones , however , on a trip (ex-trucker) down 101 , the Wife and I stopped at a roadside smokehouse and they had Smoked Oysters , but they were dry , but interestingly good . I mean they weren't over done . They were soft and not chewy and had no oil on them , I guess that's the way they are before the EVOO?
icon_eek.gif

Have fun and...

Nice. All oysters are good.

Have you tried without brining these? Our oysters are all saltwater oysters and generally have what I would consider natural brine.

This recips sound really good, we are going to try it this weekend.  Have you ever finished off by canning them in a pressure canner and jars for future use?  I would love to know how you did them.

Rypress:  Did these today and they came out great!  Had extra-smalls on hand, but next time will take your advice and do mediums.  Substituted bourbon for cognac and cherry for alder.  Great flavor and texture. Thanks for a terrific recipe.  

Right now I've got three and a half pounds of steelhead in my Weber smoker, three hours into a 5 hour smoke.  Been a smokey weekend.

Best,

St.L.

Nice idea to smoke Oysters on a perforated veggie rack. Will have to try that!

Here in Rhode Island we have many varieties of delicious Oysters because of our many Salt Ponds along the coast. Usually we just eat them raw as soon as they're shucked.

When it comes to Oysters, I always want them really fresh - no shipping or storage of any kind...

Wow! I'm just finding this thread too - amazing what some Sunday afternoon surfing does right - and these oysters, AND the turbot and sea bass and mushrooms, just look AMAZING!!!!!! This was fantastic to see!!! Thanks for sharing! WOW!!! Cheers! - Leah

This all looks so tasty. I am trying the recipe today.

Is the "30-40 hours" to brine the oysters a typo? I'm wondering if it should be 30-40 min??? Too late for this batch, they've been in the brine for over 35hrs and just put them in the smoker (using alder). Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the recipe.

Thanks for bringing this to the top brother I'm gonna try this one day at a family get together as there's always Oysters on the grill. Smoked should be an awesome addition. Im wondering about the 30-40 hours myself so let us know how it turned out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky