Bacon Jerky!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The unsweetened stuff looks good. I've never made bacon jerky, but I've been thinking about it. I've been looking to do it without any sweetener at all since I have zero sweet tooth and meat and sweet do not go together for me. I'd like to do it in my dehydrator, but it only goes up to 145. Is that not high enough for bacon or should I put it in the oven for a bit to be safe?

The unsweetened stuff looks good. I've never made bacon jerky, but I've been thinking about it. I've been looking to do it without any sweetener at all since I have zero sweet tooth and meat and sweet do not go together for me. I'd like to do it in my dehydrator, but it only goes up to 145. Is that not high enough for bacon or should I put it in the oven for a bit to be safe?

Thanks, I would think if it was cured bacon that you could try the 145. It may take a while for the fat to render, or like ya say ya could try the oven. I liked doing it in my GMG just cause it will render & all the fat runs down into the grease bucket. Might be a bit messy in the dehydrator!

Nice job Justin,
that bacon looks like it wouldn't last long without an armed guar
Nice product and pics, worthy of a ride on the Carousel.

LIKED

I make the candied versions aka Pig Candy, it's always a hit.

Thanks John, appreciate the kind words & like! I need to make some Pig Candy here soon, sounds awesome!

Getting ready to try this recipe out. Looks amazing! I'm hoping my results come somewhere close to what you got. :)

I do think your bacon is a lot higher quality than I have, but this was the best I could find yesterday. :confused: Hopefully it'll be good enough for a first attempt.

#1sttimesmokingbacon #1sttimemakingjerky

20171212_092751.jpg

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
And I just realized that I completely missed the first step... "cut bacon in half" :Do_O:rolleyes:

Getting ready to try this recipe out. Looks amazing! I'm hoping my results come somewhere close to what you got. :)

I do think your bacon is a lot higher quality than I have, but this was the best I could find yesterday. :confused: Hopefully it'll be good enough for a first attempt.

#1sttimesmokingbacon #1sttimemakingjerky

View attachment 347338

Thanks, glad you gave it a try! Looks like a great start... How did it turn out for ya?

Thanks, glad you gave it a try! Looks like a great start... How did it turn out for ya?
It was a hit with the whole family! But it was gone far too soon. Haha

I think it would have been better if my bacon hadn't been so fatty. Yours looks like a much better cut. I'll be watching out for that next time.

Ya know, that step is optional really... I just done that so it'd be a bit easier to handle.

I figured, but definitely seemed like a good idea, so I took scissors to the strips right after I realized my error. I think it probably helped it cook better too (maybe that's just my confirmation bias talking).

Here are some pics of the finished product. :D

20171212_144654.jpg

20171212_144700.jpg

The top one is honey sriracha. The second one is honey with black pepper that I made for the kids.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
It was a hit with the whole family! But it was gone far too soon. Haha

I think it would have been better if my bacon hadn't been so fatty. Yours looks like a much better cut. I'll be watching out for that next time.

I figured, but definitely seemed like a good idea, so I took scissors to the strips right after I realized my error. I think it probably helped it cook better too (maybe that's just my confirmation bias talking).

Here are some pics of the finished product. :D

View attachment 347690

View attachment 347691

The top one is honey sriracha. The second one is honey with black pepper that I made for the kids.

That looks excellent man, nice job! Awesome that the fam liked it, that's what matters! I also like the honey & BP option for the kiddos! Very cool!

Reactions: mdbannister
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky