Another Eye Round (Sous Vide Test #3)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear, you said you seasoned with just pepper, garlic and onion powder. Did you not season it with any salt? Just curious, as usually I salt the meat before sous vide, but maybe due to the long cook time you salted it afterwards?

I used to use salt, but on Nov 8, 2012, a Stupid "Dr" screwed up & caused problems inside me, including wrecking my Kidneys.
So that, along with my High BP, keeps me from using much Salt. If anybody wants salt, they can add it at the table at my house.

Bear

I used to use salt, but on Nov 8, 2012, a Stupid "Dr" screwed up & caused problems inside me, including wrecking my Kidneys.
So that, along with my High BP, keeps me from using much Salt. If anybody wants salt, they can add it at the table at my house.

Bear
Thanks for the explanation. Was wondering if adding salt to such a long sous vide cook would alter the taste or the meat, and that was why you didn't add it. I will definitely try this soon, thanks again!

Thanks for the explanation. Was wondering if adding salt to such a long sous vide cook would alter the taste or the meat, and that was why you didn't add it. I will definitely try this soon, thanks again!

Yeah, I don't always mention it, but here's a notation I often make (This one was on a Smoked Prime Rib):
Day #1 (Prepping):
Rinse, Dry, and cut a block pattern through the fat cap to the meat. Then give it a good coat of "Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce", and put it on a Wire Cooling Rack, in a Foil Pan. Then apply some CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder. Then cover it with Plastic wrap, and put it in my fridge until Next Day Smoking Time. I used to add some Sea Salt at this time, but I cut way back on Sodium since a Dr ruined my Kidneys (among other things).

Bear

Followed your suggestion with a 4lb round eye. Only difference was using a Montreal seasoning rub. Came out PERFECT! Glad I saw the thread, because I had originally intended on 32 hours. 21-22 was just right at 132 deg. Wifey now has sammy meat for her week at work, along with a mushroom gravy I made to accompany! Thanks for the advice!!

Followed your suggestion with a 4lb round eye. Only difference was using a Montreal seasoning rub. Came out PERFECT! Glad I saw the thread, because I had originally intended on 32 hours. 21-22 was just right at 132 deg. Wifey now has sammy meat for her week at work, along with a mushroom gravy I made to accompany! Thanks for the advice!!

Thank You Elf!!
That's funny, because I just did another one this way a few days ago, and I used Mushroom Gravy too.
I'll be posting it soon.

Bear

B bart131 ---Thanks Bart !!
I'd like to make one of these now, but they're getting $7.99 for Eye Rounds now!!!

Bear

Have you ever tried doing just the steaks? I tried a couple of 1" steaks @135 for 4 hours and while fairly tender, they were VERY dry.

Have you ever tried doing just the steaks? I tried a couple of 1" steaks @135 for 4 hours and while fairly tender, they were VERY dry.

The only Steak I've done in my "Sous Vide Supreme" was a Choice Ribeye, back in April. I gave it 24 hours @ 131°, and it was perfect.
Picture of inside (below) doesn't look dry at all, and Very Tender.
It was finished in my Ninja Smart Grill:
IMG_8202.JPG

Reactions: floridasteve
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky