Adding Cheese to Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bones1948

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Winter Springs, Florida
I have made a lot of summer sausage but have never added cheese to it. I am considering adding cheese to my next batch of summer sausage to give as gifts for Christmas. I now do a first grind through the large plate then add the spices, cure and water, mix and then do a second grind through the 3/16 plate and stuff. I like the texture I get from the 3/16th plate. If I was going to add cheese I could not put it in with the spice and run through the 3/16th plate I would have to mix again after the grind. I guess I am asking when to mix the cheese to the sausage? If the highest temperature the smoker will get is 170 degrees will I still have to use high temperature cheese?

Steve

Mix into the meat after grinding. It wont take much of a mix to get the cheese mixed into the meat

Reactions: chopsaw
Been a number of comments here on regular vs high temp cheese. I don’t have enough experience to answer your question, but I recently tried some high temp cheese and it exceeded my expectations for taste and convenience. It comes ina bag of uniform pellets that mix very easily and provide a consistent result. Got it on Amazon and it was expensive. Next I’m checking with a sausage place to see if I can buy some of their bulk cheese.

I made two batches of summer sausage last fall with pepper jack cheese in them I purchased from Costco as I wasn't going to pay the asking price for high temp cheese. The first batch I didn't cut the cheese small enough, sausage came out great but there are big chucks of cheese in it, you almost don't need to add a slice of cheese to the meat. Second batch the cheese was cubed a lot smaller which made for a more uniform spread of cheese. There was very little melting of the cheese both times and from what I experienced I will never purchase high temp cheese for summer sausage. Only word of warning I have about regular cheese is it takes a while to cut a 2.5 pound block up into little cubes.

I've used both . For me , the high temp gives a way better end result . For the effort involved , I'll pay the extra money .

I've yet to do a sausage with cheese BUT I recall reading how a guy tried and then highly recommended the use of Kraft Crumbles cheese:
8a1acad1-fd3a-48dd-867f-6bccbaa9b2a7_1.dc802427fe423a406fb4f43a0a38787a.jpeg

According to him it is the right size, way cheaper then high temp, worked great, and tasted very good.

This is the approach I decided to take when the day comes that I make a sausage with cheese in it :)

I have always used high temp cheese, but would like to try regular cheese just to see if it will work the same.
It sure would be a lot cheaper!
Al

I use store bought ... I mix mine in right before stuffing... I mix all seasoning, cure, and water and then fridge overnight... I then remix (with or without cheese) right before stuffing... this is when I add the cheese... so If you did it this way you could still regrind after mixing in seasonings and cure...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky