Wsm & Tbs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
lol, probably not gonna happen in my lifetime...
icon_smile.gif

You guys are driving me nuts!!
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

About six weeks ago, I bought a Weber Genesis E-310 which I've been very happy with, but it has also allowed me to play a little with smoke (especially with a small addition that keeps the smoke from blowing out). I like the smoking flavor so much and have read enough about true smoking, that I really want to try it. Did anyone notice the "gotcha"?
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif
I just bought a grill and LOML won't even let me TALK about a WSM
mad.gif
. (It's my fault really, we've had a lot of unusual expenses including a stupid mistake that cost me a couple thousand, so I'm lucky I'm not sleeping in my shop!)

But you guys are making it SO HARD! I know, I know -- I should stop reading
icon_smile.gif
, but that wouldn't be any fun either. I'll just have to be content with enjoying your joy vicariously and pretending I'll find a 2009+ WSM 18.5 on craigslist for under $100. That don't smoke no ribs though!
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif
Rich

good luck in your search, I know I still check Craigslis almost every day(im kind of looking for a BGE).

You could always get an older model, and just get a larger waterpan(pretty much the only difference other than the heat shield and the lid therm on the newer models).

Yeah, I'm considering an older model also, Jim. The important things to me on the new ones were actually the water pan (which as you said can be replaced) but especially the larger door. To me, that door seems like a better "backup plan" if needed. The thermo, I can do without or work around -- I figure to need internal measuring anyway and have a good probe I can use (my wife seldom uses it, I may as well). The heat sheild is a reasonable idea, but easy to rig up.

The only real potential advantage of a 2009+ then, is the door and not having to do the "workarounds".
points.gif
Rich

all good points, some folks have lucked out and found newer model WSM's on Craiglist as you are trying to do for great prices. I hope you can snag one.

I've had the TBS rolling all day on my 18.5''. 2-5lb pork butts and now some ABT's while the butts are resting. Began at 7am and the WSM held at 250 lid temp for 7 hours and now counting. I left for an hour and a half during the morning and came back to see the temps hadn't moved. I love this smoker.

nice guys...

Got my smoke started a little late, we are painting our family room today, and I just got the food on the WSM@ 4:00, right now some chicken wings on the bottom rack, and some salted jalapenos on the top rack. Tequila marinated top round(london Broil fixin to go on in about an hour.

thanks caveman,

Im good to go(london broil on gonna smoke it for about 50 minutes, just had my first drink(s) of the day some tequila and the High Life.

Ive been taking pics, and it should be a spread, I hope to get the pics up tonight.

I'll be looking for them. My brother-in-law loves London broil. It has gotten to the point that my Sister won't even discuss Bar-be-que with me as my skill set has been taken to a new level. But London broil sounds great. I will be taking notes. Anytime you are ready sir. And post that drink too as I have to work so I want to drink vicariously through you.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

quickly got too lit, Ill get the pics over to photobucket, but Ill post what I did tomorrow.
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

figured I'd give SMF one last try today,   no virus warnings so far, so Id figure Id make a post, and see what happens(for the record I have been on the net the entire day at the other sites I participate on and had zero attacks unlike what was going on @ SMF daily last week. )    

But I digress....

I had a pig roast this past weekend, and had my pal WSM guru Gary Wiviott out as one of my guests,  he lugged hi 22.5" WSM out, and did some high heat buttermilk brined chicken thighs, and left the WSM out at my place to borrow for a while:

the 22.5" is much bigger side by side:

acfceb54_jij066.jpg

my buddy Gary "low and slow" Wiviott:

154005fd_jij044.jpg

0ec3d10c_jij061.jpg

ill give the big dog WSM a run this weekend to see how I like it and how much fuel it uses. 

Last edited:
Looks like a good time was had by all
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 I know I use more fuel with my 22.5", but I love having the room when I need it... lol.

Sure was a good time, if I dont get any virus attacks on SMF today I will post some pics of the pig roast tomorrow,  either way they will be on my blog & facebook page tonight.

Not sure what I am going to do on the big dog this upcoming weekend,  ribs, maybe throw a curveball and try a pizza. 

Sure was a good time, if I dont get any virus attacks on SMF today I will post some pics of the pig roast tomorrow,  either way they will be on my blog & facebook page tonight.

Not sure what I am going to do on the big dog this upcoming weekend,  ribs, maybe throw a curveball and try a pizza. 
Good deal Jim...I saw the 22.5" when I did the grill comp on Saturday...that thing is massive!  The door on the floor model look a little wanky, but that can be fixed easily...too bad I only won 100.00 gift card...coulda gotten one...

Have to check your site out tonight...I'm real curious about the La Caja China

Good deal Jim...I saw the 22.5" when I did the grill comp on Saturday...that thing is massive!  The door on the floor model look a little wanky, but that can be fixed easily...too bad I only won 100.00 gift card...coulda gotten one...

Have to check your site out tonight...I'm real curious about the La Caja China

sounds like you did alright @ your first comp.  congrats.

The La Caja is great,  I want one now.   It used 80 lbs of charcoal for the 7.5 hours it worked.  but that local pig was great,  loved the roasted taste from the skin and bones.

Pics are up on my blog and my bbq facebook page. 

I might not get a chance to use the 22.5" WSM this weekend.  maybe on Sunday if anything, and I might try some pizzas on it.

Great information. I just got my 22" on Saturday and have only used it once. My problem was a didn't use nearly enough charcoal. Lesson learned.

Question for you, you said you filled the ring with lump and some wood chunks then poured a chimny load on top. Do you recommend lump over regular briquets. Most things I have read say the lump burns too fast and too hot for a smoker. But it sure looked like your system worked great..

2nd try at posting this reply...  site wouldnt let the first try through...

Used a 22.5" WSM a buddly loaned me last night.  I liked the larger capacity, but the big dog WSM is a fuel hog(not by how much it uses, but how much it takes to load it up.  With that said the big WSM is still holding 200 degrees 18 hours after i lit it. 

I used coconut shell briquettes for the first time a 18lb bag, was $6.  This stuff burned clean, hot, and long.  I also used maple as my wood.  Im getting more of this stuff.

overall I liked how I could just slap the slabs on the rack vs having to position them on the WSM by bending them on the rack.  I could have cooked what i did on the 18.5", but it was fun trying a new model. 

coconut shell briquettes:

d036b3ac_berk033.jpg

Weber gang:

f48de40b_berk036.jpg

For the size of smokes i typically do the big WSM would be kind of overkill,  For my family of 3 and a few guests the 18.5" is plenty.  For a bigger group the big WSM would be ideal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky