Worst jerky ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdlight4

Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
God's country
I tried to make my first 5 pounds on Friday night. Had everything the recipe called for except the cure. I used Tender Quick instead. The package stated to use 1 tsp or TBL per pound (don't remember which one). I followed it and should have known better. When the jerky was done, it had a little much smoke, and way to much salt. I hate to toss food, but there was no way I could eat this stuff. I placed an order for the right stuff and will try again this weekend.

It's 1 tablespoon per pound. You did not add additional salt, did you? TQ is a cure/salt combo. Also, you have to let it cure for 24 hours.

I only smoke mine for maybe 2 hours for a full batch, then dry it.

If the recipe was for use with Insta cure, or the Prague stuff, I bet it DID call for salt. Sigh...you were damned from the get-go if so.

It did, I put 2 TBL additional salt, and let it sit about 27 hours and I smoked about 3.5 - 4 hours.

Should I try again with minus the extra salt (seems like it would still be salty) or wait until my cure shows up?

I have good luck with TQ. Altho, if I'm doing 5 lbs, I'll use 4 TBLSP instead of five, as I also use soy sauce in my recipe. You have to consider ALL salt sources... and the nitrate amount with the 1 TBLSP less will still cure... give it the full 24 tho.

It's just a matter of knowing what you are using, Bill. I'd venture to say there'd be no real discernable difference when either product is used correctly.

Hey BdLight try using it in a stew or something with Lots of taters that'll suck up some of the salt and if it's tomatoe based it'll suck up some smoke too. I hate to throw food away!

The stew is an awesome idea, never thought of that. I didn't toss the jerky as I also have a problem with tossing food. The jerky just needed one ingredient to make it edible. The store sells it in a 24 pack! Over the weekend, I ate the jerky, added the special ingredient and smoked two butts! Now that was some good jerky!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky