Woods For Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For poultry, I really like 3/4 pecan (or apple) + 1/4 maple, which gives it a nice red color and a solid sweetness. Citrus is a mild smoke with just a hint of tang. I would shy away from the heavier woods like mesquite, hickory, red oak, etc... as they are so assertive that you kind of lose the flavor of the meat.

I have a grape vine in my yard, which needs pruning annually.  I've used grape vine on chicken, and was very good.  I could also see it used on turkey, which reminds me.... Turkey Day is right around the corner!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to mention.. Eucalyptus wood is fantastic for smoking. The genus Eucalyptus has over 800 different species which are so diverse in timber density, polyphenol make up and other characteristics which lead to their aroma and smoking potential. Writing the entire group of trees off suggests you really don't know anything about Eucalypts at all.

My advice having live here in Aus for some years now and working in the tree industry is to try any timber you like..

Some of the best, River red Gum, Sugar Gum and E. spathulata..

please don't give advice on things you don't know about..respect.

Cajunsmoker , I used to live at Atlanta, TX, the woods around there are full of smoking woods, hickory, pecan, black oaks, river birch, white oaks, black cherries, red maple, silver maple and a number of species of wild plum, all will smoke meat, some better than others , but all useable.

This is very close to you and the woods available should be similar.

Sorry about the long post, but I am passionate about the wood I smoke with.  There is just something alluring and wonderful about wood. But Imrefuse to pay for smoking wood.    I have a large variety of fruit trees (Bartlett pear, Asian pear, tangerine, navel orange, Valencia orange, Key Lime, lemon, Santa rosa plum, nectarine, peach, apricot, fig, grape and pomegranate on my property. I use a lot of these woods in my smoker (landmann smokey mountain big block), but my current favorite is local Arctostaphylos glauca Ramona Manzanita from a chapparel forest in the canyon I live on (mixed with a little pomegranate and plum wood).  Manzanita was a traditional wood used by the native Kumeyaay indians in my area to smoke and preserve meats, especially fish.  Manzanita is very long burning hard dense wood that imparts a mild sweet smokey flavor reminiscent of a cross between cherry and apple (Manzanita after all means little apple).  It really shines with pork, poultry and seafood.  It is a protected plant species and thus is illegal to harvest unless it is not only dead, but completely detached from the tree and lying on the ground.  With our unprecedented drought, unfortunately this is becoming easier and easier.  Pomegranate  wood is another recent favorite that is a very mild white wood similar in flavor to apple with just a little more bite.  I've never see much written about smoking with pomeganate, but can tell you it's very nice.  The fig wood is weird and has a light fluffy pith in the center.  I haven't smoked with it yet and can't seem to find much information on smoking with it so if anybody knows anything please comment.

I love trying different varieties of wood to smoke with and have done a lot of small batch smokes with single varietals so I know the flavor characteristics and can formulate my blends accordingly.  I also love to collect wood to smoke with on my travels and from friends around the country/world.  Some of the more interesting stuff I have acquired is Hickan.  This tree my friend in Arkansas claims is from a cross between a Hickory and Pecan (is that even possible?).  Really wonderful sweet and flavorful and does taste a lot like a combo of hickory and pecan.  I have some 200+ year old Pecan wood from trees at George Washington's home in Mt. Vernon given to him by Thomas Jefferson.  I was visiting Mt. Vernon and noticed that one of the trees had been hit by a lightening strike and there was a lot of dead wood.  I asked the security guard if I could take some?  He of course said no, but then proceeded to tell me that he was going on break in 5 minutes and that their were bags in the gift shop.  Packed as much as I could bring back in my luggage and have used it for special items like smoking chiles and onions/garlic for a hot sauce called "Rockets Red Glare".  I have apple wood that I collected below Castle Gleiberg in Wettenberg Germany.  The chef in the schloss where I was staying told me that the orchard itself had been in existence for at least 1000 years.  Chef Witt helped me chop it up and vacuum seal it to put in my luggage. No idea how old the trees themselves were, but they looked very old and many were largely dying or dead.  Very dark smooth bark and the interior is dark and very different from the apple wood I get here in so cal.  I also have cherry wood from a tree planted before I was born from my grandparents home in Columbus Ohio.  My Aunt used to make my favorite cherry pies from this tree and the wood is wonderful too! I just this week had a friend from Hawaii send me some Coa.  Very heavy dense wood that looks kind of like Mesquite, but have no idea what it's like for smoking (he says it's what the locals use).

All that being said, you can see that a lot of my wood holds special meaning for me and is a precious resource.  I'm looking to maximize my flavor and minimize my consumption.  How long will various meats take on smoke?  When can I stop the smoke and just use heat?  Currently I have been putting smoke on my meats for around  4 hours and am happy with the results (good flavor, good smoke ring, etc.).  I might like to cut this back even further, as long as it doesn't affect the final product, Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated.

At what point do I reach diminishing returns (where the meat is taking in minimal smoke)?  Is this temperature dependent ?  In my experience it seems cold meat takes on the most smoke.  Is this correct and do you put meat on the smoker right out of the fridge?

Last edited:
Reactions: remmy700p
In regards to how long meats can take on 'smoke', the answer is dependent on the protein and the external temperature. There is a great article in the forum somewhere that goes into great detail. I'll try to find it for you.

SA, where in So Cal do you live? I'm in the Riverside area.

Hello Perry,

Thanks I would appreciate that.  I live InsaneDiego on Rancho Penasquitos Canyon about 4.5 miles inland from the Ocean and Del Mar .  I have 0.81 acre property at about 490 ft altitude, and has direct views to the ocean.  My smoker (Landmann Smokey Mountain Big Block) is nothing fancy, but is easy to use and control and has a lot of capacity.  I make a lot of Chipotles and paprikas from my garden with the smoker.  My BBQ also has a smoker box that works pretty well.  

Last edited:
Reactions: remmy700p
I just this week had a friend from Hawaii send me some Coa.  Very heavy dense wood that looks kind of like Mesquite, but have no idea what it's like for smoking (he says it's what the locals use).

I doubt you have koa wood. I think what you have is kiawe wood! I don't know anyone here that uses koa but everyone uses kiawe...

I recently got some wood from Fruita wood and bbq supply. They cut the wood to order and maintain a certain percentage of moisture or they remove it from there inventory. Here's a pick showing the difference between there wood and the bags at local stores. You can really feel a difference between there's and the other stuff which is pretty dry,the two chunks are the Fruita and the four is just some from my bags. They have nice size to there cuts nice and uniform and I think they offer it bark free as well,hopefully I can report back after this weekend if I notice any differences.:yahoo:

How is the Flavor ?

If you were talking to me,I'm planning on trying some this weekend! I used some of the post oak but haven't had any other oak to compare to but the cherry will be a different story. May have to get some wings or something.:biggrin:

Yeah... that's Hawai'ian Koa. It is a dense red wood, is the largest member of the pea family, and is endemic to the islands.

I'd be real interested to find out what flavor characteristics it brings to smoked meat as I can get a whole bunch of it!

Taylor Swift has a beautiful guitar made of it:

Thanks for the input remmy. Yeah in person it looks even more red than the pic. Just dis a little reading and from what I gather Acacia Koa is closely related to mesquite and Kiawe is actually considered a type of mesquite, so I guess it could be either one. Unfortunately Mesquite is one of my least favorite woods. Only time I really use it is on the grill to get some quick smoke flavor into a steak, but even for that I prefer Hickory.

Another wood somebody sent me from Arkansas. Anyone here ever heard of Hickan ? Or is my buddy pulling my chain? Here's a pic of a few chunks of Hickan. All I know is this is one of my new favorites for it's flavor and versatility (rich and slightly sweet but not strong).

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky