Wood for smoking in South Louisiana

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You are surrounded by red oak, white oak and pecan. What else do you need?
a38.gif

I don't mind splitting wood myself or buying ready to use. The wood just needs to be ready to burn. I know there are tons of wood around my area I'm just looking for a good supplier. What's the difference in the flavor of red and white oak? I need apple as well but will most likely just get apple chunks from academy.

I don't mind splitting wood myself or buying ready to use. The wood just needs to be ready to burn. I know there are tons of wood around my area I'm just looking for a good supplier. What's the difference in the flavor of red and white oak? I need apple as well but will most likely just get apple chunks from academy.
Look on Craigslist, just search firewood and see what pops up. I know there are lots of sellers around here, probably will be there, too. My palette is not refined enough to discern a lot of difference in red and white oak. If I know which wood is being used, I'd probably say I like the slightly more tart flavor of white oak. In a blind taste test, I probably wouldn't notice a difference.

I agree with Grillmonkey. Some will claim red oak is great with beef, and white oak with other meats, however, I have used both white and red oak on a regular basis and hardly notice much difference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky