Will freezing brisket in homemade sauce be okay?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrisketMayhem

Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
I'm wondering if my homemade marinade/barbecue sauce will keep till the 24th and if it will freeze well. AND if it will still be tasty. The sauce has liquid smoke, fresh garlic, Amber Bock, tomato sauce, onion powder, molasses, brown sugar, soy sauce, and black pepper.

In previous years, I've just mixed all the ingredients and then baked it in the oven with the brisket but this year I'm thinking of cooking the sauce beforehand and sticking it in a Ziploc bag with the brisket and freezing it; let the brisket marinade in the sauce while it thaws and then cooking it in the oven. Will the sauce be able to handle that? Will it go bad or lose its flavor? I usually freeze meat in barbecue sauce but it's store-bought and from what I've read store-bought is different than homemade.

Also, I'm totally open to any suggestions regarding the sauce recipe itself so if you have any ideas on how to improve upon it definitely let me know!

Hi there and welcome!

Good question. Your sauce may separate during the freezing process because some components may freeze at different temps than others, so no idea how it may turn out. I once put a sauce in the freezer form store bought meat product that I didn't use the sauce from. The sauce NEVER froze!!!! I have no idea what was in it so I threw it out later when I discovered it didn't freeze hahahha.

Best of luck!

I wouldn't do it. But to test the marinade, take some and freeze it. Leave it frozen for a few days and then thaw it. See what it tastes like. Only way you can say for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky