Why are my times so inconsistent?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NoBrisketLikeShowBrisket

Original poster
Jun 18, 2023
You're about to figure out that I have NEW tattooed on my forehead, so I'll just come out and say it, I've only been smoking meat for about 2 weeks. I want to work up to Brisket, but I'm starting with Chuck Roast and have tried my hand at precut Plate Ribs to moderate success. First time I smoked (2 Chuck Roasts, just shy of 6 total pounds, 6 Plate Ribs just shy of 2) I wrapped the meat too soon (around 140 degrees) and it wasn't ready in time, my guests ended up eating when it was all still ~165 degrees. Second time (2 Chuck Roasts as above, 12 Plate Ribs just shy of 4 pounds) I wrapped near 170 and it took like 6 hours on the dot (exactly what I was expecting) for the Roasts and I called it on the Ribs around 180. Today I've been smoking (2 Chuck Roasts as above) for 13 hours, wrapping at 165, and I'm still under 180. What am I doing wrong?

I have a Masterbuilt 800, and the temps seem very accurate and consistent. The preparation on everything is the same aside from where otherwise noted: rub the night before, let sit in the fridge, wrap at a predetermined temp, take out at 195 and rest for 1 hour. The Plate Ribs are a work in progress, going to try to not wrap them next time and see. The Chuck Roast I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Same cuts, same weights, same rubs, same prep. The first time I wrapped early, I get that. The second time it turned out perfect. Today I'm not sure where I went wrong but I'm not prepared to leave this smoking all night.

My working theory is that the coverage on the grill grates is affecting how well everything cooks, but I gotta say I have a hard time believing that more meat means faster cook times, and I especially doubt that without the Plate Ribs I should be seeing more than double the time to finish Chuck Roast.

I'm slowly losing my mind, so please help. I gotta be goofing and I just don't know how.

--B

What temps you smoking at , are you verifying the chamber temp with an independent thermometer.
My bad, I was pretty tired and distraught last night. I’ve been smoking at 225 and have verified the pit temp and meat probes with my Thermapen One. As far as I’ve been able to tell the pit thermometer and meat probes are accurate within ~1 degree.

Additional information that I also neglected to share: I have drip pans with water set up below the grates to keep the humidity up, and I wrap with butcher paper, not foil. I don’t baste or spritz.

I’m happy to answer any other questions too. I’d really love to get this art down to a science.

Thanks,
—B

As mentioned above, verify your cooking temp and monitor it throughout the cook. There are lots of inexpensive thermometers that have a grate probe and a meat probe that will get you going. I’d also recommend checking out AmazingRibs.com. They have some great explanations of why you do certain things, like wrapping, and when to do it. Their cooking techniques are based in science and not just backyard experiences. You’ll learn about things like the stall - not just what it is, but why it occurs and how to best manage it. Understanding why is a key element, IMO.

Enjoy the journey!

There are three reasons for wrapping. And its not done strictly by temperature.

One is to speed up the cook and foil is primarily used for this purpose. It braizes the meat instead of smoking the meat.

Second reason is the meat has had enough smoke and wrapping prevents it from getting more smoke. Butcher paper or foil is good for this. But foil will mush up the bark and paper will preserve the bark. Paper breathes more than foil.

The color of the meats will tell you how much smoke the meat has taken on. They will turn mahogany reddish to brown then slowly get darker. No one can tell you what is the right amount of smoke, that comes from your taste buds and your experience.

Third is it tenderizes the meat. Once the meat has gotten enough smoke, then you focus on getting the meat tender and wrapping helps that along.

The Thermapen One is designed for meat IT measurement, not grate temp, you need a good grate probe version. From the same company see the square-dot. Never, trust a smokers built in therm.

Can't stress enough the importance of maintaining a smoking log. The availability of complete details for the 2nd time success on chuck roast would have contained the information necessary to repeat it. Get in the habit of taking very detailed notes each time you smoke and that certainly includes documenting failures as well.

Without question, it's best to become very familiar with your smoker and be able to repeat good outcomes before considering doing anything overnight which requires addressing additional areas in order to ensure the smoker's operation throughout the night.

Oh, meat can't tell time. Each piece can be different. Time is only a rough guideline to tell one when to begin testing for doneness / tenderness.

Last edited:
You have gotten some excellent advice so far, and three of the most important things are planning your entire cook, knowing the actual grate temperature, and don't overthink things. It might be comforting to know that when I learned how to cook over live fire, we had no thermometers and used pretty basic seasonings along with the basic senses when cooking. Feeling the heat, listening for the sizzle, watching the color, smelling the smoke, and probing for tenderness were just as important in 1975 as they are today. And good barbecue is a journey not a destination.

A number of years ago I wrote an article and put a few of my thoughts together. Take a read.... you may find a tip or two that can help.

My bad, I was pretty tired and distraught last night. I’ve been smoking at 225 and have verified the pit temp and meat probes with my Thermapen One. As far as I’ve been able to tell the pit thermometer and meat probes are accurate within ~1 degree.

Additional information that I also neglected to share: I have drip pans with water set up below the grates to keep the humidity up, and I wrap with butcher paper, not foil. I don’t baste or spritz.

I’m happy to answer any other questions too. I’d really love to get this art down to a science.

Thanks,
—By
Wouldn't be afraid to smoke them at 250-275, that would help speed up your cook without hurting your meat.

And if nobody has said this yet - each piece of meat is different. Some 12 lb briskets will get done, no wrap, cooked at 235 in 10 hours, the other one right next to it might take 18 hours. Next week one might take 16 hours, the one next to it will take 24 hours.

You'll get it.

My advice, with any smoke, plan on having the meat DONE 12 hours before you need it until you figure it out. A long long long rest on a brisket makes magic happen, and if you hold it in a hot oven (preferably) or a cooler, it will still be nice and warm when you go to slice or pull or chop it. Pork butt can also be held that way, and other than the bark getting a little softer (I do like me some hard bark on a butt) it comes out just as delicious.
Once you figure it out, you can trim that 12 hours down to 4. I never trim it down to less than about 4, personally.

Reactions: indaswamp
And if nobody has said this yet - each piece of meat is different.
Yep. Beat me to it.

Totally depends on how tough the cut of meat is. Tough = more collagen; heat above 180*F + time = broke down collagen....i.e. that oooey goooey moist flavor! More collagen takes more time. This is one of the main reasons why the rest is so important for brisket...let that baby relax, soak up juice, and break down collagen!

Also-thickness of the cut plays a huge role in how fast the center heats up (where your meat probe is located)....

Thanks for your advice everyone! I was really hoping to avoid buying another $100 thermometer, but like, at this point it‘s a drop in the bucket. My main concern with having the meat done too early was how to reheat it without losing moisture, but the more I think about it the more I realize it’ll probably be fine, and it’s much better than eating something underdone. I’m sure I’ll be back soon with more questions.

Thanks again,
—B

Reactions: Nefarious
Thanks for your advice everyone! I was really hoping to avoid buying another $100 thermometer, but like, at this point it‘s a drop in the bucket. My main concern with having the meat done too early was how to reheat it without losing moisture, but the more I think about it the more I realize it’ll probably be fine, and it’s much better than eating something underdone. I’m sure I’ll be back soon with more questions.

Thanks again,
—B
Hi there and welcome!

Here is a 4 probe wireless unit that is super cheap. Never used it but for $18.50 it's worth a shot to dip your toe in the water.
With that said, Inkbird is a sponsor here on the forum AND I have had zero issues with their thermometers they just work... but are easily double the price. But hey they work and keep working so if your cheapo thermometer wears out you know the value of having a good one and know which brand to go with :D

Also why 4 probes??? Two can be measure temp across the rack (left side, right side, etc.) and two can be used for meat temp. OR, use any number combination for smoker and meat.

Now on to my 2 cents about your situation.
I agree 100% with verifying your smoker temp using a thermometer like the one I linked to.
How much meat is in the smoker affects how air flows and how temps can change in the smoker. Adding pans and even the size of the meat can affect how the temp and heat flows around the smoker. So the thermometer with multiple probes is like the #1 tool to START getting consistency.

I also agree that each cut of meat can be different, though you will get a "ballpark" of what to expect out of chucks of the same size. Now beef ribs vs chucks will always be different, you can never treat two different types of meat the same but you can get some much more consistent expectations of the same cut of meat.

I also agree 210% that planning the whole smoke is going to be something to really focus on. Each different cut of meat has different rules with smoking, readiness, seasoning, trimming, timing, etc.
With bigger tougher cuts of meat like briskets, pork butts, chucks, and beef short or plate ribs, it is a good idea to plan your that you think it will take to cook and then add +4 hours to that time. Use that total calculated time to figure out when you start to smoke so you KNOW it will be ready when it's time to eat.

Now why add 4 hours????
With big cuts of meat (total 6 pounds+) if you finish 4 hours early that is fantastic! You can tightly double wrap it all in foil and then tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set it on the table and the meat will still be piping hot 4 hours later!

Finally, with beef ribs, chucks, briskets, pork butts, and pork ribs, they don't care what temp you cook them at as long as you aren't burning them. I'd crank that temp up to 275F because 225F buys you nothing with those cuts of meat but extra headache and usage of your precious time.
At a steady 275F I find my briskets and pork butts take about 1hr 5-10min a pound before they may be tender and therefore ready.
So if I have 10 pounds of brisket in the smoker at 275F it will take about 10 hours before it may be tender and therefore ready. I would plan to have that brisket in my smoker 14 hours before I wanted to eat.
So to have that brisket for dinner at 6pm today I would have put it on the smoker 14 hours earlier at 2am.
It likely would have come off around 2pm and I would have wrapped and rested it like I mentioned above. At 6pm unwrapping it would still be piping hot and ready to slice and serve.

I've thrown a lot at you so let me know if this makes sense.
Also we should probably talk about readiness indicators for chucks and beef ribs next so you can continue developing better consistency with those cuts. For right now it's best to focus on smoker and prep to help increase consistency as you get to know your smoker and setup better for each cut of meat. THEN we can talk what the meat specifically needs for consistency.

I hope this long ass bit of info helps :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky