Who's doing a Turkey on their ECB for ThanksGiving?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok lets recap shall we? What I have on my list for Turkey day,

ECB modded

Lump Charcoal (Cowboy)

Pecan chunks

water pan wrapped in foil

2 small pavers wrapped in foil

small water pan on 2nd rack for drippings

Cut up Onions, carrots, celery, garlic for water pan on middle rack

Brine mix

large zip lock bag

5 gallon bucket

EVOO

some turkey dry rub

18-20 lb bird (wont know how much till I pick up from butcher)

plenty of good beer on hand

What am I missing?

Turkey on at 6:30. It ended up being 16 lbs. Since I didn't know how my Ecb would do temp wise I got an early start. After 4 hours I put a thermometer in the deepest part of the beast. Hit 170. I kept the Ecb around 250-300° the whole time. Thing worked like a champ. Now I know it won't take very long to smoke a turkey. Only used 2 full pans of coal and 2 chunks of pecan. Birds golden brown and wrapped in foil in a towel in a cooler. Dinners at 1:00. I have pix that aren't loading from my phone. Sorry might have to wait on those. How's everybody doing with their?

Last edited:
Nice job, good looking bird. Unfortunately, I was off to the in-laws so no cooking this year for me, but I think you have convinced me to do a bird on mine. How was the gravy? I bet it was good as well?

Turkey on at 6:30. It ended up being 16 lbs. Since I didn't know how my Ecb would do temp wise I got an early start. After 4 hours I put a thermometer in the deepest part of the beast. Hit 170. I kept the Ecb around 250-300° the whole time. Thing worked like a champ. Now I know it won't take very long to smoke a turkey. Only used 2 full pans of coal and 2 chunks of pecan. Birds golden brown and wrapped in foil in a towel in a cooler. Dinners at 1:00. I have pix that aren't loading from my phone. Sorry might have to wait on those. How's everybody doing with their?
Great job. I had two turkeys, one on each crate. It took me about the same time, 4 hrs. And the temp was around 300 most of the time. It came out great. I started with a foiled empty water pan; after an hr into the cook, drippings from the bottom crate start burning in the foiled paper. I did add some water then to avoid the fumes.

Seems I will have to adjust the height on my charcoal pan and lowered a bit. I do have a pic that will post later.

I am sure you'll keep smoking now!!
congratulation_graphics_2.gif

not sure how you did it. I did a 17 pound on the same grill and it took me almost 9 hours, but no big deal we were not eating until after 5 anyway.

not sure how you did it. I did a 17 pound on the same grill and it took me almost 9 hours, but no big deal we were not eating until after 5 anyway.
what temp did you keep it at? Also I had 2 pavers covered in foil in the water bowl. I added a water bowl on the 2nd grate, it also caught the drippings. 

Hard to say on the temp, it just says cold, ideal, hot. So it was in the lower to mid ideal the all the time, and the drippings feel in the the water pan. Never thought about pavers.

Hard to say on the temp, it just says cold, ideal, hot. So it was in the lower to mid ideal the all the time, and the drippings feel in the the water pan. Never thought about pavers.
You need to get a thermometer. at the bottom side of Ideal is probably around 200. I think that's where mine hits on my thermometers. Check out my post about mods. 

You're totally right; that's the ECB challenge / trade. Google ECB mods, also check in youtube. There are a few things that can make you have some control on the temps with this smoker. And if you like it, after 10 or 20 cooks of all sort, turkeys, chicken, brisket, boston butt, well, the next level is a Weber (with the known amount of "dough").

I have used this grill for almost 3 years, it has done great. The only draw back is the temp control. I think it is time for a upgraded.

There's a thread about people making a mini Weber out of a Smokey Joe. Seems fun and not too expensive. What's amazing is temp control on that thing is easier than with the ECB.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky