Who's doing a Turkey on their ECB for ThanksGiving?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
good luck with thee pre-made one. I have used the slaughter house one and its excellent. Id recommend you trying it sometime. Also recommend getting a small chicken to try that pre-made brine on.You wouldnt want your Thanksgiving Day bird to be bad.
Here's the Brine I'm going to use

The pressures on now. 18-20lb Turkey ordered from the local butcher. Fresh not frozen $$. I think I might try the bacon butter. Anybody used that under the skin?

I'm planning on doing one for the first time. I have a pre-made brine mix, will ad some seasoning to the bird and will probably flavor my water.  I'd like to hear your horror stories, successes, and tips. Going to be an early and long day of smoking. 
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif
I am also planning using my modified ECB. This year I am using both bottom and top crates. On the lower goes a 16 lbs, and on the top a 12 lbs. I need to run the smoker 325-350. Wish me luck!!

I am also planning using my modified ECB. This year I am using both bottom and top crates. On the lower goes a 16 lbs, and on the top a 12 lbs. I need to run the smoker 325-350. Wish me luck!!
Good luck. How much lump are you going to start out with? I can get to 220-220 pretty easy with a low amount using the minion. I think I'm going to stack it pretty high this time. 

Good luck. How much lump are you going to start out with? I can get to 220-220 pretty easy with a low amount using the minion. I think I'm going to stack it pretty high this time.
I use KB briquettes. I am planning for 54 unlit ones and about 12 lits. I hope to start low and reach 300-325 in the first half hr. I have use minion before but now I just use what they call "standard method" which is nothing but lit coals on top of unlit ones.

Just follow the instructions, I guess you'll have to add water, try bottled water to avoid the clorine taste from tap water.
it actually says to use Vegetable stock. So a non issue. Plus if I had to use water I'm on a well. I get the 5 gallon jugs from Ice Mountain anyway. 

My next issue might be the size of the bird. My meat guy said it will be 18-20 lbs. Have any of you smoked a large bird on your ECB? Will it fit?

My next issue might be the size of the bird. My meat guy said it will be 18-20 lbs. Have any of you smoked a large bird on your ECB? Will it fi
 After what I've read, the best size to smoke a turkey is 12-14 lbs. I've even read that's better to have two 12-14 than a 20+, if needed. This year I am cooking a 16.7lbs and basically giving it the same treatment as my 12; thaw in the fridge for 4 days, kosher salted (1 tsp per pound) and fridge for 24 hours.

Because I will have extra people at home, I will make two turkeys. I did measure them inside my ecb already and the 16 lbs fits better @ the bottom crate. 18 lbs would be the limit for what I see. If you're going to cook only one bird, you can have an 18 lbs on the bottom crate and remove the top crate. Also, I will keep the water pan empty, lined with foil. 

I would have went with a smaller turkey. But to get a fresh non frozen from my local butcher they start at 18 lbs and go up.  Is the middle rack the way to go? I thought it was best to use water with onions, oranges and whatever else cut up in it? 

I would have went with a smaller turkey. But to get a fresh non frozen from my local butcher they start at 18 lbs and go up.  Is the middle rack the way to go? I thought it was best to use water with onions, oranges and whatever else cut up in it? 
Nothing beats a fresh turkey. I have use the middle rack with beer can chicken and they came out great. A big turkey in the top rack will have the breast too close to the dome, and if it touches the dome, the meat will burn. Like I say, if I would make an 18 lbs, I would use the middle rack; keep an instant thermometer handy. If you have a probe thermometer even better.

I do place onions and celery sticks inside the turkey cavity. I have use the water pan with water and without, and I think it makes no difference on the taste.

Last edited:

Nothing beats a fresh turkey. I have use the middle rack with beer can chicken and they came out great. A big turkey in the top rack will have the breast too close to the dome, and if it touches the dome, the meat will burn. Like I say, if I would make an 18 lbs, I would use the middle rack; keep an instant thermometer handy. If you have a probe thermometer even better.

I do place onions and celery sticks inside the turkey cavity. I have use the water pan with water and without, and I think it makes no difference on the taste.
doesn't the water pan help with the moisture in the meat?

doesn't the water pan help with the moisture in the meat?
That's the myth. I have tried both and see no difference. Also the water pan is a heat sink, supposed to help keep temps steady when doing low and slow. For the turkey I need 325-350 so I am good without water.

so no water just empty pan with foil? Do you use sand or a paver?

Hey Guys,

An empty foiled pan is a bit of a heat diffuser. Adding sand or a paver will help hold the absorbed heat and keep temps stable during flare-ups or cool down periods as the charcoal burns. There is always more than one way to do things. I prefer the foiled paver, mainly because I happen to have several that I can use. 

I have tried with water and an empty foiled pan and the foiled paver worked the best for me. I suspect your results may vary 
biggrin.gif

My thermometer at the cooking grate told me that my ECB liked the paver the best. 

I bought a gas burner that I can use for higher heat in my ECB. 

I am not cooking on thanksgiving but my family is deep frying a bird this year. I suspect that will be real tasty! 

Make sure you take lots of pics for us as you go through the process with your bird. 

I think I might buy a paver tonight and use it wrapped in foil. I might add a small pan with water and some cut up onions and garlic on the grate above the water pan to catch drippings for gravy. So hopefully have the best of both. thoughts?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky