Whole hog on a spit.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
AK, how long did it take to actually do Oswald in the cooker? That looks like the begins of some great meals!

drool.gif

That looks awesome nice job
thumb1.gif

Yahoo, that was a fine performance AK1!  I bet you were smiling from ear to ear, and got lots of appreciation.  Obviously, you and Oswald were the neighborhood favorites.

77.gif

My blue-collar boat club ('yacht club' sounds SO pretentious!) has a pit out front that may have never been used. It's got a hog sized spit... I should plan on a piggy this year.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, life got in the way.

Saturday turned out fantastic, the pork was so juicy & tender, and everyone had a great time. 

What surprised me was that the pig was done sooner than we expected. We ended up having to keep it warm in the oven for about an hour and a half. Alas at that point we lost all the nice crispy skin, as it got a bit soft.

As for the pig roaster... my friend borrowed it from a friend of his, who made it at home. I don't have all the details, but it looks fairly simple. There's the bottom which is made from square steel tubing with a sheet of steel on top. 
Then another frame of steel tubing with steel sheet that has the bearing bolted on. Opposite side has the motor assembly.  There's a back that just clips on, and a top that just sits there to help hold the heat in.

I'm not sure but I think it is a 2 speed furnace motor with a gear reduction so that the spit speed is either 4 or 6 rpm depending on which way the switch is thrown. 

The charcoal tray is a separate piece that is raised off the bottom using a couple of patio stones. This way there is an air gap between the charcoal tray and the roaster, and a gap between the roaster and the ground.

Apparently, you could use this on your lawn and not worry about burning the grass.

If anyone is interested, I'll try and get more details & photos about the roaster.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the pig once it was cut up as things got busy.

Quote: "[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]If anyone is interested, I'll try and get more details & photos about the roaster."[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  Thanks for a great article AK1. I would love to see more about the roaster along with any observations of yours about what you would change if you made one since you have used it.[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  Chuck [/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  [/color]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky