Where is the temp to be measured?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dsmuzic

Original poster
Sep 17, 2023
I'm getting ready to smoke a brisket. Just realized I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be measuring the ambient temperature or the temperature inside the meat. Can anyone help me out with this please?

Reactions: JLeonard
And if you need a multiprobe therm...Look up Inkbird Inkbird on amazon. They are a sponsor and make good therms at a good price. Got one Ive been using hard for 4 yrs now without a problem.
And be sure and show off your smoke!

Jim

Reactions: DougE
I don't temp ribs , but this is the normal position for watching grill temp like Chris said above .
1694995724373.png
I run a snake on brisket , so the grate temp is taken across from the burning part of the snake . Just gives you an idea maybe .
1694995877486.png

If it is a whole packer brisket, I would suggest two probes in it.
One in the flat and one in the point.
Probe tip needs to be in the center of the meat.
Also as others said, a probe on the grate to monitor the cook chamber temp so you can keep it constant.

If it is a whole packer brisket, I would suggest two probes in it.
One in the flat and one in the point.
Probe tip needs to be in the center of the meat.
Also as others said, a probe on the grate to monitor the cook chamber temp so you can keep it constant.
Yes it was a whole packer brisket. I used a double probe thermometer but the temps were like 30 degree difference between the center of the point and the chamber. The meat read hotter than the chamber. I had a pretty difficult time trying to keep it consistently around 250. Would go up to 280 and then down to 220. Used lump charcoal. I guess practice makes perfect

Yes it was a whole packer brisket. I used a double probe thermometer but the temps were like 30 degree difference between the center of the point and the chamber. The meat read hotter than the chamber. I had a pretty difficult time trying to keep it consistently around 250. Would go up to 280 and then down to 220. Used lump charcoal. I guess practice makes perfect
I don't know how it could be possible for meat center to be 30 degrees warmer than cooking chamber.
You may have a bad probe.

I have an 8 probe meter. What I do is put all 8 in a glass of hot tap water and start the meter up. I then take the closest 4 and use those for my cook.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Yup . He ran hot enough to bring the I T up , then let his fire die .
Yeah when I saw it was dipping too much I added more charcoal and wood if opening the damper didn't work. I also probably smothered it at times when it got too hot and I would try to lower the temperature.

See thirdeye thirdeye 's post. Definitely, you measure the brisket IT by putting it in the thickest part of the flat, not the point. Remember, temp is only a guideline. Briskets are done when they probe tender all over the flat.
Tender = feels like going in/out of a jar of peanut butter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky