What's wrong with commercial sauces...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coyote-1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
(subtitle: Why I Usually Make My Own)

Smoked 2 racks this past weekend on the Weber. Didn't feel like making a sauce, so I went and bought one. Can't remember the name, but it has a story saying how these guys had entered a competition and came up with the sauce that won.

It's not bad! It really is a pretty good BBQ sauce. But it's NOT at all stellar. Every homemade sauce I've had over the past few years, be it mine or my brother's or cousin Howie's or those made by various friends, is better. Not by a slim margin, but substantially.

So I looked at the ingredient list. First ingredient: High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Question: Has ANYONE here ever based their homemade BBQ sauce on high fructose corn syrup??

Seems the process of mass-production inevitably kills what was once unique and delicious - and replaces it with something else. Next time I won't be lazy, instead I'll do what I shoulda done last time and make my own sauce.

I would venture to say that any homemade sauce based on commercial ketchup would have high-fructose corn syrup very high on the ingredients list, since that's usual high on their ingredients.

Nothin wrong with commercial sauces....i'm trying to make a living selling them!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Yes, they have some "un-natural" ingredients, but what doesn't these days.

Surprisingly enough, most comp teams use these same commercial sauces, not the stuff at Meijer but sauces award winning teams produce themselves....sauces the average backyarder will never know about.

Homemade is always best, but theres some great products out there that everybody needs to try at least once!
biggrin.gif

Haven't used it in mine. Seems silly to base my sauce on an existing sauce.

I tend to use fruits that I puree myself, fresh or dried spices, whole brown sugar or honey, beer &/or wine... gotta admit that a dash of Worcestershire does occasionally find its way in.

Ya.....if that makes you feel better.
cool.gif

I think his point was that if your using Ketchup for a base (most cases) your gonna have some of these ingredients.
Now if your using fresh tomatoes and making from scratch, power to ya!
Just don't expect it to last very long, let alone be able to give it out or sell.

like any industry, I guess. there are commercially available products that the public get sold. And then there's the good stuff that tends to get sold in larger quantities and from industry retailers.

But yeah the idea of buying in a sauce or rub just doesn't work for me. Mind you lea & perrins worcestershire sauce is a bit of an exception. No way am I fermenting my own barrels of anchovies. Darn that'd smell :-)

Nothin wrong with store bought sauces!

I don't use them cause I enjoy making my own and yes it starts with ketchup cause it is a easy shortcut and the sauce will last longer.

If you find a commercial sauce you like more power to ya. If you are like me and just enjoy the creativity and cooking then make your own. My sauce is better in my mind than any store brand I have tried but you know what they say bout opinions! Its all subjective when it comes to taste anyway.

I use Stubb's Original Bar B Q Sauce. The ingredients are: Water, Tomato Paste, Corn Syrup, Distilled White Vinegar, Molasses, Sugar, Pregelatinized Tapioca Dextrin, Salt, Brown Sugar, Spices:Onion, Chili Powder, Garlic, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Chipotle Powder, Soy Sauce Solids (Naturally Fermented Wheat And Soybeans, MaltoDextrin, Caramel Color), Palm Oil and Tamarind.

It's about as near homemade as you can get in a commercial sauce that has to have such stuff in it to ship everywhere and last unrefridgerated on the shelf. Made in Austin, Texas; it's the real deal. Check out their website at http://www.stubbsbbq.com. I've written them and they sent me a Stubbs meatcutting apron!
biggrin.gif

Some commercial ketchup contains those demonized ingredients to extend shelf life and such, as well as vinagar which I also add more of. I took a look at my ketchup bottle and the generic shure fine brand does not have any preservatives added other than vinagar listed. I looked at a commercial bottle of Q sauce my kids liked and it does contain some things I can not pronounce. I assume these are more than just fillers but I could be wrong.

There is a time and a place for everything. I make my own because I can. But that sauce does not fit every situation. And I cannot make a sauce for every food combo that I may dream up. SOMETIMES a store bought sauce is just what the Dr. ordered. However some store bought sauces SUCK so you gotta be selective. 2 cents.

I have 9 different bottles of store bought sauce, but they are each from a bbq place I have been too somewhere in this great land of ours. some our good, some are great, but I like how my memory of the trip that took me to that que palace tatses.

I like the labels, the stories, and I think it is cool to try and figure out where the regional sauce differences change, geographically speekiing.

I make my own, and I have some heirloom family recipes that will make you cry, with thier flavor and their story.

cheers

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky