What's everyone using for rubs on their briskets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rosencra38

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Muskegon, MI
Preparing myself to do a small brisket smoke in a week or two. This will be my first beef smoke so I'm wondering what to use for a rub on the brisket. I've always just used Famous Dave's rib rub before and wanted to go with something different this time. I'm not planning on slicing the finished product rather I am planning to cube it and make some awesome chili with it. Thanks for the help.

This would work quite well for a chili meat...I've used this quite a few times on beef chuck and brisket:

Garlic/Pepper Beef Rub

2 Tbls Kosher Salt, extra coarse

3 Tbls Kosher Salt, regular

3 Tbls Garlic, minced, dehydrated

1-½ Tbls Sweet Red Pepper, minced, dehydrated

3 Tbls Black Pepper, fine grind

1-½ Tbls White Pepper, fine grind

1 Tbls Crushed Red Pepper

2 Tbls Paprika, medium grind

3 Tbls Brown Sugar, heaping

Note: the extra course salt is for texture of the crust/bark only, and can be substituted with regular kosher if unavailable.

Here's another that should fit right in:

Hot Rub for Beef

Ingredients:

1 Tbs - White Pepper

2 Tbs - Black Pepper, fine grind

4 Tbs - Kosher Salt

1 tsp - Cayenne Pepper

2 Tbs - Garlic Powder

1 tsp - Cumin

1 Tbs - Mild Smoked Paprika

2 Tbs Onion Powder

Enjoy!

Eric

I use my hands. Does that count??
icon_mrgreen.gif

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creole-...nd/Detail.aspx

Brisket, I go bold earthy flavors. Cu min , garlic,oregano,chili powder, and then salt and pepper. Also add some fresh ground coffee to the rub.
I use brisket for alot of left over additions to a meal.

head country rub is always good, i've used it at contest with good results. also something simple to use, salt,pepper and garlic powder. there's many rubs on the market , these are just simple and tasty.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

I use Smokin Guns rub or BRITU with great results.

I must admit, Salt, Pepper, and Garlic salt works very well. Occam s Razor applies most of the time. Simpler is best.
icon_smile.gif

I tried this marinade + rub once before, and it came out really well. Smoked it with Mesquite on a gas grill (before I got my MES) at 250* for 3 hours, then foiled it for 2. Sugar burns at 265* so no worries with that.

Brisket Marinade

1 1/2 cups red wine
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons black pepper

Brisket Rub

1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons oregano

I have only done one so far and loved it. I used a premixed one I got at Cabelas it was Cookshack Brisket Rub. I am going to use it again for sure and I am going to try it on my Chuckie tomorrow as well.

If you are putting it in chili I would go simple - salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
If I am slicing, I usualy use a variation of the recipe in Smoke and Spice. I cut down on the pepper. I will also use Plowboys Bovine Bold on occassion.

also if you have a bass pro shop or ace hardware close they carry plowboys rubs, yardbird and bovine bold. those are good, he won the american royal with them.

I use a version of the "Renowned Mr. Brown" rub that is popular for pork. I use the exact same recipe, plus add garlic powder (I don't measure it - just until it "looks right"). I'd guess I use about 2 Tbsp of it, though.

Last time I did Brisket I did one for the Super Bowl, and I injected it with beef broth, garlic powder and cayenne as well. It went over well.

I'm with Mike (JaxGator) on this one too. Salt, pepper and some Garlic and your i there. The chilli will over power anything that you use anyway.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky