What Wood is This?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BiscuitoftheSea

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Had a huge branch of this tree fall onto my property last year. I haven't had any luck trying to figure out what it is. Very orange wood on the inside.

Location is MN (central near cities)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210505_120345.jpg
    20210505_120345.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210505_120834.jpg
    20210505_120834.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210505_120238.jpg
    20210505_120238.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 54
What about black cherry? Could it be that? The bark doesn't look like the images of shagbark hickory that I see online. Also, I've never seen those nuts like they show in pictures on the ground. We do get small blue/black berries, but I can't remember if they are from that tree or the other one that's on my property in the same area.

What about black cherry? Could it be that? The bark doesn't look like the images of shagbark hickory that I see online. Also, I've never seen those nuts like they show in pictures on the ground. We do get small blue/black berries, but I can't remember if they are from that tree or the other one that's on my property in the same area.
Here's a pic of one of my black cherry trees. Leaves look almost identical
IMG_20210505_123756.jpg

And heres one of my shagbark hickory. The leaves are huge in comparison to the ones he posted
IMG_20210505_123920.jpg

You are probably right about the black cherry

Looking at your picts, it certainly looks like black cherry. Well, I guess I just hit the jackpot. That branch I was referring to is probably between 500 and 1000lbs. Won't need to buy wood for a while! Plus it has already been dead and cut for a year, so should be ready to cut and use.
Thanks for the help

Nice score on the wood! These guys have you taken care of but just have to add...like your screen name, but now I'm hungry for chicken in a biscuit! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Cherry (from someone who used to get paid to know these things). It's often hard to ID a tree over the internet, but that one is pretty obvious.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky