What kind of wood does everyone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Generally hickory because it's what I have on hand and is readily available to me. However, I've had some mesquite smoked brisket and it's quite good. A light touch is required with mesquite though.

Oak or Maple for heat as its everywhere up here. Hickory for flavor.

yea i went to a bbq place and they had every wood known to man but the one i wanted was peach and they were out so i got grape

Personally I like a mix of oak and cherry or hickory and cherry but its actually a matter of personal tastes and the flavor your looking for and think is good

If I have pecan, I'd use that on my beef with a combination of oak for a strong heat source. Otherwise, it's cherry and oak
icon_cool.gif

Man, we have tons of peach around here but I haven't been able to find grape yet.

This is from the Sticky on woods for smoking.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

Would have never thought of osage as a smoking wood. I've never seen it in person, just in pictures, mostly of guys making selfbows. My first thought is it would be strong like mesquite? Thats one of the best things about this forum, learning what others are doing around the country.

About grapes........

I have riesling , chardonnay , Skookum and at least 7 other types of grapes. Greens, purples, browns reds, and whites. I use them all. I started out separating the different types for my wood chips but seeing no difference in the end result I now just mix them all up in the chipper, dry them for about 1/2 a summer in a windy location in direct sunlight. Once cured I keep them out of the sun and they all work great.

I haven't noticed any extra amount of smoke or Tartness from grapes. Perhaps that's because I usually use them for ribs and apply lots of rub for a thicker bark that I like on my ribs.

I did use some in my Cobb Cooker once that gave off some thick white smoke so I changed it out for some Hickory to get the thin blue I was looking for. The fattie did have a barely noticeable bite to it that I took to be a tinge of creosote but may have been tartness from the grape wood not being cured enough. A month more curing time later out in full sunlight and that particular batch of chips smoked with a nice and blue smoke.

Grapes will grow almost anywhere the climate is moderate. If you know where there is a grapevine, just clip off about a foot from a green branch, stick it in water till roots show then plant it in a fibre pot. If you live in a colder climate you will have to buy your grapes so that they come with a grafted on rootstock which is a bit more hardy.

For comparison Cherry is like grape-lite if that makes any sense to you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky