What has happened to thin sliced Bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rio_grande

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
INDIANA
Were I trying to make breakfast I would not be bale to find thick sliced bacon. In this case with making ABT's I can not seem to locate thin sliced bacon. I am gonna ask my butcher and see what he can do for me. I used to buy the cheap packs of bacon and they were so thin that you often had to do a double wrap, the stuff I ended up with this weekend was thick.

I even sent the wife to the store to get a box of pieces and it was thick as well.

So whats up with thick bacon??

I don't use it often but when doing ABT's or wrapping meat for smoking I sure want the cheapest thin stuff I can find and would be upset to not find any at the store

Get thee to your local butcher shop, they can/will cut it to order.
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

Reactions: thegreatmc
I agree. it's been getting hard to find around here too. Might have to try the butcher method.

We don't seem to have that problem here in east fla. Now I have used it and I have found it at Winn Dixie and Publix maybe you don't shop in those type of places. JK

Purchase a couple fresh bellies and a tub. Mix up a couple gallons of brine and pour over the bellies, weight down with ½ a gallon ziploc of water. Let soak 3 weeks. Take out, rinse, hang and dry. Smoke w/low heat until 150°. Deep Chill. Set slicer to 'thin' and make all ya want!

LoL Pops you got it figured out.... But short of that I hit my local butcher today and all of his is pre sliced ???

I have a alternate butcher that i know can get it done for me.

I agree, I always use the cheapest bacon I can find and it is usually really thin. and sometimes even lacking for the Abt's needing a second piece.

We are getting ready to do about 100 ABT's and 40 ish hot balls. Pluss whatever i decide to wrap in bacon. I am thinkiing buying maybee 10 lb and freezing whatever i dont use.

Since I learned to make my own Bacon (on this forum), I only buy raw bellies from the butchers, but when I used to buy sliced bacon from any of my butchers, their first question was "How do you want it sliced?"

Real butchers usually have a big old hunk of bacon laying in the showcase somewhere, but maybe I'm spoiled from living in a Pennsylvania Dutch area, with butcher shops all over the place.

Bearcarver

I not sure if Bar-S is in your area, they have a nice thin bacon.  Recently there packaging has went to 16 oz to 12 oz.  But I love a Dagwood BLT!

I know this is a 5 year old thread, but I had a similar problem making a bacon weave for a fatty last week. The bacon was just way too thick. What I did was to make the weave on top of a piece of plastic wrap. Then I covered it with another piece of plastic wrap and rolled over it with a heavy rolling pin. Kinda like rolling out pie dough. The size increased by probably 30% and the pieces all compressed together, making it much more uniform and a lot easier to work with. I believe I've seen someone else do this, I just can't remember who or where. It works though.
Then you just peel off the top plastic and wrap as usual.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky