What do you rub your beef with?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 24, 2007
Sacramento, CA
What do you prefer to use for a rub on beef that you smoke? Does it depend on which cut you are going to smoke?

Thanks,

Jeff

Well here is what I do....mix some soy or teriyaki, wix with worcestershire with a dab of A-1, mix well. Marrinade the meat for an hour or so in fridge. Then remove from marinade, pat dry, rub with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with seasoned salt, and a little heavy with course black pepper, press in, wrap with plastic wrap and place in fridge over night. Then I either grill it or smoke it searing first either way.

Thanks FlaGriller! Much appreciated!
icon_cool.gif

I don't usually rub if I do I use Jeff's rub I usually sprinkle with garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and .... canjun spice! Sometime I'll throw on some Montreal Steak Spice. Soy sauce, brown sugar ... depends on what I'm going for normally beef or hawaiin beef.

Coffee grounds are the main ingredient for my brisket rub, followed by the typical ingredients, garlic,onion, cayenne, paprika, etc.....

Can you chew coffee grounds? I've heard of instant coffee powder or liquid coffee but coffee grounds? Tell us more about this rub please. I love coffee!

A quick recipe on the coffee note... Thanks BAY NEWS 9

What you'll need for the Kona Ribs:
  • 4 Short Ribs
  • 1 Cup red wine (cabernet Sauvignon)
  • 2 bottles amber beer
  • ½ cup ground coffee (Kona or other rich coffee)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
What you'll need for the Polenta:
  • 1 Cup Polenta
  • 2 oz crumbled Gorgonzola
  • 1 ½ Cups milk
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
What you'll need for the coffee liqueur sauce:
  • ½ Cup Beef Stock
  • ¼ Cup Kona Coffee
  • 2 oz Kahlua or other coffee liqueur
Let's Cook:

GROUND%20COFFEE.jpg

Rub ground coffee onto the meat.
Take the short ribs and you simply rub the ground coffee onto the meat.
Then you place the ribs in a deep dish.
Add some red wine and some beer. Dark beer is preferable.
And what you want to do is pour the beer up to the top of the ribs.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Now you cover the pan with some foil and place it in the oven for two and half to three hours.
While ribs are cooking, here's a quick polenta recipe.
In a pot pour 1 Cup milk and gorgonzola and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and slowly add polenta, stirring constantly.
As the polenta thickens add the rest of the milk, butter and salt, stir until incorporated.
SAUCE%20RIBS.jpg

Coffee infused delight.
So you need a sauce for the ribs right... Make a coffee liqueur sauce with demi-glace.
Pour in some demi-glace and reduce it... Some dark strong coffee... Kahlua or coffee liqueur.
Then some salt and pepper to taste.

Yeah, all I can think of is a gritty texture... kinda like the last cup of coffee from the coffee pot when you get to the bottom of the cup... eeewww!

Except for briskets, I don't stray very far from black pepper, salt, and granulated garlic for the base.

I had heard of coffee before, but ground???? I don't like the grinds in my coffee, so it was hard to "swallow" the idea...

However, try some instant coffee.... it works great. I just use my regular rub, and then right before putting the meat on to cook, take a teaspoon and sprinkle some on.... It makes the meat darker, and adds a bold taste to it. And if your rub is a little on the sweet side, it will tame it down some...

Give it a try. You might just like it.... I do.

Bill

How many times have you looked at a rub or sauce and said " wow that has a lot of black pepper in it ,but you can't really taste the pepper". I have used coffee grounds for years on beef, and many top comp teams use it alot more than beef.

Just a thot

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky